+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question about the lore

Default A question about the lore

So I got the retail collectors edition and i have read the comic about 3 times now. Some of it just doesnt add up to the same lore that is in the game.

I play Guardian, and at the starting zone you stop the Orph's creation + kill the tyrant king. Then you sacrifice yourself to shatter the body of that king. 20 years later you are brought baxck to life to Silverwood.

Now my question is this, in those 20 years, is that when the comic book is based?

Just a small note, thank you Trion! Just recieved my 8GB memeory stick about a week ago :-D

I don't have the comic, but according to Trion it was printed before some story and lore elements were finalized and doesn't line-up perfectly anymore.

hmm what a shame =/

Shadowlander

Default Whats with the Propaganda

What I want to know is why the game is massively biased towards Guardians. The lore about ethians on the website tells about how they discovered sourcestone tech, build a massive empire, found out that dragon cults were infiltrating and so to SAVE everyone they buried their cities and destroyed their tech so that the cults wouldn't get it. This was cool and one of the main reasons I made an eth my first character.

Then I got to droughtlands and begin collecting artifact sets about the sorcerer-kings trying to make themselves gods via the Convocation (name for the big explosion that destroyed the empire). And the main quest chain in Droughtlands is stopping the fire cult from re-activating the machine (that caused the Convocation) that apparently used souls of people for power. And theres a ghost npc that is apparently an eth from that time saying how bad it was of them and how you have to fix it by stopping the cult from re-doing it.

What happened to the martyr story that was inspiring. Instead I get to feel bad about how the eth were idiots? I can live with it if they were "propaganda" artifact sets and there would be others contradicting them. And then defiants can have anti Guardian propaganda... (things the gods DIDN'T do that caused the deaths of hundreds).

Also theres the part about the first town in silverwood you arrive in at lvl 7 is guarded by about 10 lvl 50 elite guards..
    as opposed to the defiant side which has maybe 20 lvl 50 guards TOTAL and only in meridian spread far too thin.

Well, I play Guardian myself and do not know much about the different races, only what was in the comic book that came with the retail collectors editon.

But any info I heard about the eth was just that the empire was destroyed, that is all I knew, but I assumed it was because of the technology and they just went too far, kind of like Port Scion with the death rift device. But then again I am Guardian so I tend to follow that more than anything.

Rift Disciple

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Fanticore View Post
    What I want to know is why the game is massively biased towards Guardians.
    It's not. Yeah, the Eth were filled with hubris and managed to blow themselves up while trying to become gods. The Mathosians, on the other hand, had a court riddled with Endless. Also, the Defiants come from a future where the Guardians botched things so badly that the world ends on the day you start your character.

Also, follow the Fredrick Kain storyline to the end. Everyone watches Kain slowly lose his mind and become corrupt, everyone comments on how he's getting worse and worse and it's all because of those shards, but no one stops it. Why? Because he's on a quest for the Vigil! And they could never be wrong, could they? Orders are orders!

Both sides have idiots who made bad decisions. Both sides have brilliant leaders and noble heroes. Sometimes - quite often, in fact - these are the same people.

Quote Originally Posted by Siendra View Post
    I don't have the comic, but according to Trion it was printed before some story and lore elements were finalized and doesn't line-up perfectly anymore.
    Exactly this. Certain major details, like the Mathosian Civil War taking place 80 years prior, Aedraxis calling upon Regulos instead of the magitech machines cracking the Ward, and the location where Orphiel resurrects Asha were all changed between the creation of the comic and the release of the game.

Soulwalker

There's a story-line quest in Scarwood Reach, involving Asha Catari, where you are told that the Ward was actually rent by an unnamed Mathosian, which she is working to fix. Of course, she's also working to steal an ancient Ethian device that can open planar rifts whenever it wants right under the noses of the Guardians in the region, but that's rather besides the point.

I'm not sure if this sheds a bit more light on the history of Telara or was a bit of lore that has since been ret-conned in other sources and was not edited to match, but there you have it. According to Asha, Ward Breaking = Mathosians.

Quote Originally Posted by Psienesis View Post
    There's a story-line quest in Scarwood Reach, involving Asha Catari, where you are told that the Ward was actually rent by an unnamed Mathosian, which she is working to fix. Of course, she's also working to steal an ancient Ethian device that can open planar rifts whenever it wants right under the noses of the Guardians in the region, but that's rather besides the point.

I'm not sure if this sheds a bit more light on the history of Telara or was a bit of lore that has since been ret-conned in other sources and was not edited to match, but there you have it. According to Asha, Ward Breaking = Mathosians.
    Are you sure she isn't talking about some unnamed Mathosian rending the Ward in that area? Because we have it more-or-less in stone about what first caused the Ward in general to crack - Orphiel's devices in the hands of the traitor king.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

My impression of the Rift story is a lack of foresight and QA on Trion’s part. If you want consistency in any story you do not give the game’s story to several independent writers and leave them to it. What you do is have everything vetted by one writer or his team.

For Rift the people who wrote the comic, the quests, the press release stories and the updates since launch had the lore as their background. But no one seems to be at the helm making sure it all makes sense as a whole.

The result is endless threads about inconsistencies; they have moved to clear up a few of the major ones, but not all to my knowledge.

I would add that the quality of writing has been good, it is the oversight that has been poor.
    Last edited by Pretext; 06-04-2011 at 12:36 AM.

Plane Touched

I think the comic was the biggest inconsistency, and that's due to the final elements of the lore not being fleshed out when it was written. Are there any other major ones? I don't know of any and would definitely like to find out.

+ Reply to Thread