+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Rift lore and future racial additions

  1. #1
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    153

    Default Rift lore and future racial additions

    I posted this in another forum but it is maybe a bit more relevant here.

    There's this one Defiant researcher that you talk to in Meridian that is currently trying to find out a way to create their own Ascendants from scratch - creating life from nothing basically.
    Once this researched finishes up with his research Trion could then allow us to become Artificially Ascended Constructs - which fits perfectly in the Defiant lore.

    It'd give us a completely unique race that would still be able to share the same animations we have for the current races and thus reduce the workload for the devs while giving us something different.

    For the Guardian side you could easily have a "lost" race pop up, and perhaps tie in the above Defiant race as a response to this lost Guardian race once again appearing. It could be anything from a secret creation of the Vigil, hidden in one of the planes for purposes only the God's know, to a new creation directly created as a response to some in-game event.

    If we'd go with a race they put in one of the planes then we could have everything from Stone-people to Walking Mermaid people with the innate ability to breathe under water - and these races could be introduced even without having to retort to the Vigil. It could just be an intelligent and somewhat civilized race that has decided to escape their home plane and ended up with the Guardians for some reason.

    I for one would love to play a construct race, and it's something that they're almost hinting at it in the game. But I haven't found anything similar for the Guardians (though I haven't played much Guardian-side) that hints at a new race.

    Has someone found anything in the lore that could somehow hint at a planar race joining up with the Guardians?
    It seems to me that the Guardian faction hates everything about the planes more than the Defiants so if any side would gain a planar ally then it'd be Defiants.

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple EtherCrux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default

    I believe it was Sylver Valis who said that (the same guy who brought you back to life in Terminus). However, I'm pretty sure he just used creating life from scratch as a metaphor. He was trying to find a method to make people Ascended from scratch (ie, no need to use souls).

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Yeah, that was the fellah.
    I'll check him out again next beta for a further look at what he says.

    Advanced constructs that house souls seems to be a Defiant appropriate race anyhow, I can almost bet that the devs have thought of it as well.

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple EtherCrux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanadeus View Post
    Advanced constructs that house souls seems to be a Defiant appropriate race anyhow, I can almost bet that the devs have thought of it as well.
    Oh, definitely. And if Sylver ever succeeds with his Ascended-from-scratch method, then it seems the Defiant would have a nice bargaining tool with any new races they come across. Few would turn down the chance to have that much power. Also, if there's a race of beings that worships their own gods or god not affiliated with the Vigil, then the Guardians' zealotry would be pretty off-putting. All in all, the Defiant look to be in a better diplomatic position with any undiscovered races.
    Last edited by EtherCrux; 01-01-2011 at 07:26 PM.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    I would think planar races, and 'undiscovered country' (also hit by the rifts, but with a very different story) races would be at the top of the list

  6. #6
    Rift Chaser Voltz89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    310

    Default

    I think this is what you are playing as when you choose to be a Defiant Ascendant. The Defiants were/are searching for a way to make their own Ascendants, and when you go back to the past, you give them the recipe to do so.

    I think it is just Trion trying to make it seem like you are really from the future.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Inixia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanadeus View Post
    If we'd go with a race they put in one of the planes then we could have everything from Stone-people to Walking Mermaid people with the innate ability to breathe under water?
    How kwl! Now I want mermaids! heh and then we could probably give them the water defense racial instead of... dwarfs. I'm really not sure how dwarfs got aligned with water.... especially since like everything in their lore and characteristic, and real mythology would suggest strong ties to earth, and nothing to do with water.

    Anyways, the current races imo are still pretty solid.
    Last edited by Inixia; 01-06-2011 at 02:15 AM.

  8. #8
    Champion WildeNight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    How kwl! Now I want mermaids! heh and then we could probably give them the water defense racial instead of... dwarfs. I'm really not sure how dwarfs got aligned with water.... especially since like everything in their lore and characteristic, and real mythology would suggest strong ties to earth, and nothing to do with water.

    Anyways, the current races imo are still pretty solid.
    Only problems with water-based races - Do they get negatives on land? How do they cross land anyway? Would Trion be willing to make content solely for the use of water-based only races? Is the water combat good enough to support such things overall?

    Because Evil is Sexy

  9. #9
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Starseeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    363

    Default

    I would think since there are Bahmi which are Air/Human, that it would be quite easy to come up with half elemental for the other planes.

    Water/Human would have blue or green skin, have maybe fin like ears and colors that go with the ocean but a humanoid body. Get water benefits.

    could do it for any of the planes except maybe death and life.

    Cleric - Defiant - Greybriar

    Leader of Midnight Aeternus Guild

  10. #10
    Plane Walker Summonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    Only problems with water-based races - Do they get negatives on land? How do they cross land anyway? Would Trion be willing to make content solely for the use of water-based only races? Is the water combat good enough to support such things overall?
    The content would not be solely for those races. As we've already seen in beta, there are items to allow underwater breathing to any race.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Rivendark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Right where I am.
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Before worrying about future racial additions I would prefer to see the world better populated. Meaning NPC that do silly things or interact with each other like in WoW for example. Then consider additions in lore and races.
    Sidheach: You should be dead!
    Rivendark: Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated—again.

  12. #12
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    Only problems with water-based races - Do they get negatives on land? How do they cross land anyway? Would Trion be willing to make content solely for the use of water-based only races? Is the water combat good enough to support such things overall?
    You could really just do an amphibian looking race like this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Starseeker View Post
    I would think since there are Bahmi which are Air/Human, that it would be quite easy to come up with half elemental for the other planes.

    Water/Human would have blue or green skin, have maybe fin like ears and colors that go with the ocean but a humanoid body. Get water benefits.

    could do it for any of the planes except maybe death and life.

    A planetouched race so to say for those that know their DnD

    And giving them permanent or really, really long breath underwater would probably not break anything if there is an item that does the same as someone pointed out.

  13. #13
    RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Server: Wolfsbane
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivendark View Post
    Before worrying about future racial additions I would prefer to see the world better populated. Meaning NPC that do silly things or interact with each other like in WoW for example. Then consider additions in lore and races.
    Actually, I think the Dev Team has done a pretty good job at this already. I'm kinda wondering if you meant .... More populated instead of ... better populated.

    I can list numerous examples of NPC interactions just in Terminus.
    I'm not saying that you might be blowing thru the content, but I can't help but wonder if you've taken a look around?
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple Rivendark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Right where I am.
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EntreNous View Post
    Actually, I think the Dev Team has done a pretty good job at this already. I'm kinda wondering if you meant .... More populated instead of ... better populated.

    I can list numerous examples of NPC interactions just in Terminus.
    I'm not saying that you might be blowing thru the content, but I can't help but wonder if you've taken a look around?

    Sorry I meant more populated. Ie: NPCs interacting with each other like Donna and William and Asric and Jadaar in WoW
    Sidheach: You should be dead!
    Rivendark: Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated—again.

  15. #15
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Please bring back the Ratongas from Everquest somehow or even a rodent like race. Could somehow fit into the defiant as their slaves or something for construct work?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts