+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Basics

Default The Basics

Hi all! I'm an avid RPer and lore-lover. I've been looking for a basic compilation thread of "common knowledge" lore but I haven't been able to find one. I apologize if there is one somewhere, in which case it would be very helpful if someone would point it out to me.

Anyway, a lot of the threads I've looked at deal with specific pieces of lore and history. I wanted to create this thread to help compile the more general things, and perhaps brainstorm connections between the more general pieces of lore to the more specific.

Some of the things I wanted to ask about but couldn't find a whole lot of information on:

1. The Blood Storm War
    - What or who started it? Who were the good guys? The bad guys? Do we know about any of the major battles and/or the turn of the tide? What are some of the effects of the war that can be seen today?
    2. The Dragon Gods
    -Who are they and what do they represent? What is their role in society?
    3. I was reading about the High Elves and came across the name "Tavril", the name of a god?
    - Do all races have a sort of patron god? What does Tavril represent, who are his/her allies?
    4. The Vigil
    -This is a council of gods, right? Do we know about any of the gods who are represented? I know this is covered in a specific thread, I just figured that since it related to the other questions I'm asking that I'd include it.
    5. Racial Enemies
    - Who hates who? Who allies with who? For example (completely off the top of my head here) do the High Elves hate the Mathosians? If so, why? etc.

I could probably think of more, but I'll stop there for now.

Ciovala has perhaps the best compilation of Rift facts/Lore at www.telarapedia.com
    Everything that could possibly be known at this juncture would be located there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyvrae View Post
    1. The Blood Storm War
    - What or who started it? Who were the good guys? The bad guys? Do we know about any of the major battles and/or the turn of the tide? What are some of the effects of the war that can be seen today?

2. The Dragon Gods
    -Who are they and what do they represent? What is their role in society?
    The Blood Storm War was a period of time when the Blood Storm, a group of evil gods, battled with the People of Telara. Typically the blood storm was a group that traveled the cosmos devouring worlds. Telara, though, was different. Telara offered a chance for the gods to rule a world. This split the blood storm, because they each wanted to rule it and craft it in their own image. For Example, Greenscale wants the world to be a massive primordial jungle to hunt in.

This divide in the Blood Storm gave the people of Telara a chance to rise up and fight them. With the help of the Vigil, Telara was able to win, trapping each of the blood storm gods in elemental prisons, and defeating the Physical Dragon form of Regulos.

This event happened quite some time ago - the exact players we don't know much about. A couple of the classes have their lore from this time period, individuals rising up against the minion of the Dragons.

We do know that the Dragons each have a cult that follow them. When the cults first appear (If it was in the beginning of the war, middle , etc) we just don't know for sure.

Name - Plane - Cult

Greenscale - Life - House Aelfwar
    Maelforge - Fire - Wanton (basically a bunch of pyromaniacs)
    ----------There is a strong rivalry between Greenscale and Maelforge-----
    Akylios - Water - The Abyssal Cult (Very magical and dark)
    Crucia - Air - Storm Legion (Basically a hive mind type of thing ) (She was once Regulos' mate)
    Laethys - Earth Golden Maw (All about Greed and corruption)
    ----------There is a big feud between Crucia and Laethys-------------
    Regulos - DEATH - The Endless Court (He truly does want to destroy Telara)

3. I was reading about the High Elves and came across the name "Tavril", the name of a god?
    - Do all races have a sort of patron god? What does Tavril represent, who are his/her allies?

4. The Vigil
    -This is a council of gods, right? Do we know about any of the gods who are represented? I know this is covered in a specific thread, I just figured that since it related to the other questions I'm asking that I'd include it.
    From what we know the Vigil is a group of Five Gods that helped make Telara. Tavril is just one of them. Now the fact that the elves choose him as their god - there isn't much information as to why or how. But the other known ones are Theodor (The Sword) and Mariel-Taun (The Heart). Really there is not much about the Vigil besides their help in the creation.

Guardians follow them, and the Vigil is responsible for Ascending the Guardians. The lore gets a little confusing but the Vigil seems to be missing or "not as active" as they once were.

5. Racial Enemies
    - Who hates who? Who allies with who? For example (completely off the top of my head here) do the High Elves hate the Mathosians? If so, why? etc.

I could probably think of more, but I'll stop there for now.
    Of the player races, there hasn't been much talk about racial hatreds.

A few great places to read this information is the Telarapedia Logs - We had a GREAT sit down in IRC with the lore developers

Thank you so much for that link to the wiki! I'll be sure to browse it and have a lot of my questions answered.

Kartys, your post was amazing. Thank you for that. I'm taking it all in, and what lore has been released sounds really awesome. I can't wait until more comes out.

Thank you Kartys for putting this in one thread, very interesting.

Curtis

What I don't understand is that the gods of Telara went to such lengths to protect the world from the ravages of the Dragon Gods, and now that the world is under threat again, the gods have abandoned it. Maybe they were weakened from the effort of putting up the barrier and are resting, but now's not a good time to be laying low! It's no wonder the Defiant are putting their faith in technology.

Quote Originally Posted by xmojo1 View Post
    What I don't understand is that the gods of Telara went to such lengths to protect the world from the ravages of the Dragon Gods, and now that the world is under threat again, the gods have abandoned it. Maybe they were weakened from the effort of putting up the barrier and are resting, but now's not a good time to be laying low! It's no wonder the Defiant are putting their faith in technology.
    Hehe I agree with the Defiant statement - Really we don't have the lore right now to see why they "abandoned" Telara. I put in quotes because we know that they are still there in a way because they are bringing back Guardian Telarans. Maybe their power is based on how many people are worshipping them and the Defiant split really weakened them.

Only time will tell.

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xmojo1 View Post
    My hope is a lot of the story hasn't been explained to us. The devs themselves have said they don't want to give it all away and want players to find out once they actually get the game.

However the statement about the Vigil abandoning Telara seems unfounded - after all, the first Ascended being was Cyril, who was brought back by the Vigil itself! Perhaps the gods prefer people to save themselves and only sort of help them along; we'll find out some day!

As to lore, all of the raw info was up on Telarapedia and there is a Lore Category - we can always use help expanding it. I'm definitely a lore junkie myself.

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

I honestly hope they don't reveal much more lore than they have currently, excluding the final classes and races so far of course. This is because I'm one of those crazy people who read their full text quest instruction stories and love to learn the lore through that process.
    But I could be a weirdo in that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwolf View Post
    I honestly hope they don't reveal much more lore than they have currently, excluding the final classes and races so far of course. This is because I'm one of those crazy people who read their full text quest instruction stories and love to learn the lore through that process.
    But I could be a weirdo in that aspect.
    You are not a weirdo. I like making parties wait while I read through the lore too. Really it IS the best way to find out the lore of the game.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

4. The Vigil
    5. Racial Enemies
    I suspect that Tavril is the god that the high elves see as their racial creator and probably the god or goddess of all things natural.

We now know from the dwarf race description and the Sentinel class description that the dwarves worship a god named Bahralt. At one time the high elves and dwarves were arch enemies. When the first elven sentinel went to live among the dwarves to find out why Tavril was now cooperating with Bahralt, he nearly lost his life as the dwarves thought he betrayed them as a spy when they were invaded by a contingent of elven soldiers, but because of his sacrifice in healing both elf and dwarf alike he came to understand the union of the Vigil and helped unite the two races in the cause to serve the union of the gods.
    Last edited by Sylvrin; 08-16-2010 at 11:16 PM.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

Telaran

Rather than start my own thread, I figured this one suited for my question regarding lore. Have they released anything more regarding the Soul Stream and how Ascendancy works? I understand that the Ascended are actually written in the lore to be immortal, a la EVE online, except instead of clones their souls are bound to Telara or some such. So...can the Ascended ever actually die? Even if they tried? Or are they doomed/blessed to an eternal cycle of revivification?

Just wondering as I'm piecing together a fun little backstory for a char I might want to write up and toss into a post to be ridiculed/appreciated but that one piece is a big sticking point for how I decide to develop him.

Quote Originally Posted by FatCrab View Post
    Rather than start my own thread, I figured this one suited for my question regarding lore. Have they released anything more regarding the Soul Stream and how Ascendancy works? I understand that the Ascended are actually written in the lore to be immortal, a la EVE online, except instead of clones their souls are bound to Telara or some such. So...can the Ascended ever actually die? Even if they tried? Or are they doomed/blessed to an eternal cycle of revivification?

Just wondering as I'm piecing together a fun little backstory for a char I might want to write up and toss into a post to be ridiculed/appreciated but that one piece is a big sticking point for how I decide to develop him.
    I recall hearing somewhere...a video I think, but can't tell you which one off the top of my head...that the ascended souls are in essence immortal. That is not to say that we can't be killed, because we can be. But it's more a case that our souls will not reenter the soulstream. That is what gives us the power to Soul Walk or revive once we do get killed.

I hope that helps.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvrin View Post
    I recall hearing somewhere...a video I think, but can't tell you which one off the top of my head...that the ascended souls are in essence immortal. That is not to say that we can't be killed, because we can be. But it's more a case that our souls will not reenter the soulstream. That is what gives us the power to Soul Walk or revive once we do get killed.

I hope that helps.
    Ah, that very much does. Like I said, I have a pretty solid idea of what I want to do for a char backstory with that information. Now, I just hope that in the game itself, we can make Malthosians characters look very Eth in appearance. =p

+ Reply to Thread