+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Shade

Soulwalker

Question The Shade

So more slight confusion regarding the Shade. I've seen it refer to the Shade as being both a THING *and* an EVENT.

So does this seem accurate to you, albeit slightly confusing?

The Shade (thing):
    The physical manifestation of Regulos' power flooding through the opening the Ward pierced by Aedraxis.

The Shade (event):
    The event in which Aedraxis pierced the Ward, allowing some of Regulos' power to come through (in the form of The Shade).

It sounds like "The Nothing" in the Neverending Story to me. That was both a THING and an EVENT, since the thing physically destroyed as it passed, and an event that happened to those in the vicinity.

I was a bit confused on this matter as well. To me it sounded like a thing, not an event, but I guess it was an event.

Seemed like a thing to me... but I could be wrong. Some aspects of the lore are slightly confusing.

Soulwalker

Ok, it IS actually both. Some folks refer to the event in which the Shade came through to be the time of the Shade, or just "the Shade" for short. Kind of like the Mathosian Civil War can also be referred to as The Shade War, but ultimately mean the same series of events.

Quote Originally Posted by Raevin View Post
    It sounds like "The Nothing" in the Neverending Story to me. That was both a THING and an EVENT, since the thing physically destroyed as it passed, and an event that happened to those in the vicinity.
    I love this reference. Making me want to go home and watch this again, such a good family movie.
    I like thinking of the Shade like this.
    "Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. Never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found." -The Iron Code
    We Are Chosen - Guardians

Probably both. The shade is most likely a giant manifestation of death, like the magic a mage would summon... just on a god-like scale. Regarded as an event because it marks a changing point, and regarded as an entity because the magic seems slightly sentient perhaps?
    Last edited by Paradosi; 06-30-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Prophet of Telara

I'd have to go with an event and a thing. I think Regulos, when he first broke through the ward that Aedraxis pierced, caused a series of rifts that changed a vast landscape and killed Aedraxis and his followers. I'd presume that whatever came through still dwells in higher level lands and may even be the death cult that Simon Ffinch referred to in the latest video. Was it the Endless Cult?

It was the following line that made me think of rifts:

The Shade's black tendrils of death and ruin annihilated the opposing armies, killing even Aedraxis, and left much of Telara devastated.
    I think the Shade now is the vast tendrils that have ripped Telara apart into what we see from the Shadowlands; a broken planet being attacked by writhing tentacles. The devastated parts of Telara would be where the world cracked.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

Quote Originally Posted by anagain View Post
    I'd have to go with an event and a thing. I think Regulos, when he first broke through the ward that Aedraxis pierced, caused a series of rifts that changed a vast landscape and killed Aedraxis and his followers. I'd presume that whatever came through still dwells in higher level lands and may even be the death cult that Simon Ffinch referred to in the latest video. Was it the Endless Cult?

It was the following line that made me think of rifts:

I think the Shade now is the vast tendrils that have ripped Telara apart into what we see from the Shadowlands; a broken planet being attacked by writhing tentacles. The devastated parts of Telara would be where the world cracked.
    The shade would be more like a gigantic rip in the ward rather than a series of big rifts, I believe. Something like this...
    http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/3230/lolward.png
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Considering the different planar exitences, it could be dependent on the plane as to the manifestation of the shade, hence it being a thing and/or an event

Soulwalker

so it is a thing and event? like the shade is when the shade killed everyone it touched ?

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

The Shade was an event in Telaran history. It destroyed much of the North, displacing the Mathosians and the dwarves. However, I don't think it is a phsyical entity, per se. The taint from the Plane of Death does still does exist apparently, but I would look at it more like a lurking 'disease' that is still upon portions of the land in the North.

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    The Shade was an event in Telaran history. It destroyed much of the North, displacing the Mathosians and the dwarves. However, I don't think it is a phsyical entity, per se. The taint from the Plane of Death does still does exist apparently, but I would look at it more like a lurking 'disease' that is still upon portions of the land in the North.
    I assumed "The Shade," being both an event AND a "thing" was represented by the view of Telara from the Shadowlands: there are titanic tentacles that very much resemble the ones which come from death-rifts, tearing from the surface of the planet. I haven't heard anything specifically about this massively obvious feature, so I assume it's this Shade they go on about.

+ Reply to Thread