+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Conflicting lore in class page?

Default Conflicting lore in class page?

Ok, so I was reading a little on the background of the wardens - here

In it, we read that the oldest warden is a Kelari - a Defiant. As she goes about winning the trust of the water god, she helps a band of Dwarves (Guardians) and then joins them in their struggles.

I thought Defiant and Guardian were too busy fighting each other to have friendships? Or perhaps this was a time of truce, or something, although I haven't read anything about that as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Whayyel View Post
    Ok, so I was reading a little on the background of the wardens - here

In it, we read that the oldest warden is a Kelari - a Defiant. As she goes about winning the trust of the water god, she helps a band of Dwarves (Guardians) and then joins them in their struggles.

I thought Defiant and Guardian were too busy fighting each other to have friendships? Or perhaps this was a time of truce, or something, although I haven't read anything about that as yet.
    A lot of the class backgrounds have some overlap. It looks like the first of these soul types all showed up during the Bloodstorm, when they worked together to seal the dragons away in a grand crusade. I think this crusade predates the Guardian/Defiant split, which seems to be fairly recent in Telara's history.

Pre-Blood Storm Era - Mainly High Elves, Dwarves (both created by and blessed by the Vigil), and humans were gradually advancing.

Blood Storm and surrounding that era (a LONG TIME) - High Elves splintered off the Kelari, Bahmi's ancestors begin to ahem..procreate with humans, and Eth Empire rises and falls. Beginnings of Mathosia. When Regulos and the Blood Storm get distracted, EVERYONE worked together, even if their societies didn't (like the Kelari). Dwarves left their delves they were hiding in, humans regained their courage, Eth continued to develop fantastic machines (though they fell to cults and greed afterward), High Elves left their hallowed places, Bahmi forced interaction with others for their survival, and Kelari

Shade - 'defiants' becoming a loose term for Orphiel, the Eth, and the Bahmi (I don't believe Kelari join them just yet) overtly turning away from the Vigil. They had ..possibly.. good motives, but if anything, the Death Plane did do a number on corrupting them for a time. The Kelari retreating to their Isles for some time, the remaining faithful (Mathosians, Dwarves, High Elves) began a more solid relationship as the 'guardians' of the Vigil's will during this time. Asha dies here, but she doesn't have to do with Regulos or the Defiant just yet.

(The creation was the foundation, the Blood Storm Wars was the ingredients, the Shade was the formation)
    (The Fall of Port Scion was the catalyst)

Fall of Port Scion - Everyone flees, the rifts start causing a major problem, survivors and especially the more dedicated combat ready ones (it seems) head to a safe point and found the city of Port Scion. It lasts for a time, but then falls. Both 'sides' who put aside differences for the sake of survival blame the other for the problems. Asha returns, and plays a role in this. They break off entirely after the fall of the city. Kelari arrive on the shores of Freemarch shortly after, their home corrupted and destroyed by the arrival of the rifts, and are taken in by the Defiant. We start the game shortly after this.

Makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Pre-Blood Storm Era - Mainly High Elves, Dwarves (both created by and blessed by the Vigil), and humans were gradually advancing.

Blood Storm and surrounding that era (a LONG TIME) - High Elves splintered off the Kelari, Bahmi's ancestors begin to ahem..procreate with humans, and Eth Empire rises and falls. Beginnings of Mathosia. When Regulos and the Blood Storm get distracted, EVERYONE worked together, even if their societies didn't (like the Kelari). Dwarves left their delves they were hiding in, humans regained their courage, Eth continued to develop fantastic machines (though they fell to cults and greed afterward), High Elves left their hallowed places, Bahmi forced interaction with others for their survival, and Kelari

Shade - 'defiants' becoming a loose term for Orphiel, the Eth, and the Bahmi (I don't believe Kelari join them just yet) overtly turning away from the Vigil. They had ..possibly.. good motives, but if anything, the Death Plane did do a number on corrupting them for a time. The Kelari retreating to their Isles for some time, the remaining faithful (Mathosians, Dwarves, High Elves) began a more solid relationship as the 'guardians' of the Vigil's will during this time. Asha dies here, but she doesn't have to do with Regulos or the Defiant just yet.

(The creation was the foundation, the Blood Storm Wars was the ingredients, the Shade was the formation)
    (The Fall of Port Scion was the catalyst)

Fall of Port Scion - Everyone flees, the rifts start causing a major problem, survivors and especially the more dedicated combat ready ones (it seems) head to a safe point and found the city of Port Scion. It lasts for a time, but then falls. Both 'sides' who put aside differences for the sake of survival blame the other for the problems. Asha returns, and plays a role in this. They break off entirely after the fall of the city. Kelari arrive on the shores of Freemarch shortly after, their home corrupted and destroyed by the arrival of the rifts, and are taken in by the Defiant. We start the game shortly after this.

Makes sense
    Beautiful summary, thought I'd bump the thread so more read this. ^.^

~Rhen

Shadowlander

Good summary! I have to say that, after reading the history on the site, I don't see any evidence that the Defiant, as a faction, was ever corrupted. It was a Mathosian king who fell under the influence of Regulos and essentially started all this. In fact, in the past when there was danger that their magitech could be used for evil, the Eth(de facto founders of the faction) destroyed their own machines and cities to prevent it. The Dragonslayer Covenant was formed to keep watch over the cults and try to preserve some of the knowledge of the past so it could be recreated if the world needed. The Defiant are no more evil than the Guardians.

I wouldn't bother making such an involved post, but I really love the lore behind this world. I've read a lot of people talking about going Defiant because they played Horde in WoW, or they like being a dark elf, or evil is sexy, or whatever. I really hope this doesn't take hold in the RP servers the way D&D/Forgotten Realms Drow lore has taken over the Tier'Dal in EQ2. There's a tendency for communities to recreate canon after release, and I really don't want to see that take over in this game. It would be a shame to waste such a great back story.

+ Reply to Thread