+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Dragons... What do they all look like?

Default The Dragons... What do they all look like?

To date we have seen what; Greenscale of Life plane, Maelforge of Fire plane, we caught a glimpse of Crucia of Air plane (in the defiant movie), and of course we know Regulos is not quite a dragon... Have we yet seen Laethys, or Akylios yet, or did I just miss them? I am most curious to see if Akylios looks something like the loch ness monster, or a sea serpent, or Leviathan.

While we are on the subject of elements... something I have been wondering since beta this past weekend.

To me it seemed like we only saw Life and Fire on the guardian side of things... am I to assume not every plane will manifest in a particular zone, but certain planes have an affinity for a zone? I was originally under the impression that ANY element could rift in ANY zone at any time.... but nope, only Life and Fire in silverwood.

And if that is the case, where would one have to go to see each different plane? That might be good to have mapped I think, so if you are say in a air and earth mood you know, ok we are going to xyz place on Telara today... since I feel like taking on Crucia and Laethys' minions.
    Last edited by Belenos; 12-22-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: edited for typos

Telaran

The second guardian cutscene(after leaving mathosia) showed several dragons and unless there are more of them than the bloodstorm they were the ones you mentioned but they looked very similar besides of the color.

Quote Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
    To me it seemed like we only saw Life and Fire on the guardian side of things... am I to assume not every plane will manifest in a particular zone, but certain planes have an affinity for a zone? I was originally under the impression that ANY element could rift in ANY zone at any time.... but nope, only Life and Fire in silverwood.

And if that is the case, where would one have to go to see each different plane? That might be good to have mapped I think, so if you are say in a air and earth mood you know, ok we are going to xyz place on Telara today... since I feel like taking on Crucia and Laethys' minions.
    Remember, the planes are somewhat dependent on their servant in Telara to weaken the Ward wherever they are and bring in rifts. The incursions so far have followed the enemy types we've seen in zones; Life and Fire in Silverwood because the goblins and House Too-Hard-To-Spell are summoning them, Water and Death rifts in Freemarch where their cults are fighting for ground.
    Last edited by Arnem; 12-23-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnem View Post
    Remember, the planes are somewhat dependent on their servant in Telara to weaken the Ward wherever they are and bring in rifts. The incursions so far have followed the enemy types we've seen in zones; Life and Fire in Silverwood because the goblins and House Too-Hard-To-Spell are summoning them, Water and Death rifts in Freemarch where their cults are fighting for ground.
    Ahhh cool, that makes sense! So it begs the question, in the other zones, which elements (cults or factions) can we expect to see?

Don't forget too, these "dragons" are not really dragons. That is the form they've chosen to take for Telara. They are opposing gods who banned together to consume the sourcestone of Telara.

We've seen Regulos' dragonl form and his "shade" or avatar form while in Mathosia. I wonder if he is the only one who employs the shade varient, since he is supposed to be the strongest.

Because Evil is Sexy

Afaik the reason we are only seeing certain element rifts is due to the other ones still needing work. They want to slowly test how each one plays out. Making sure the bugs are fixed etc. Don't think there is any reason for elements not spawning in particular zones.
    HADRUNE
    <HAND OF BLOOD>
    Hadrune's Ammo Dump (HAD)
    A blog about Rift: Planes of Telara & Warhammer Online
    Follow me on twitter
    or via feedburner

Quote Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
    Ahhh cool, that makes sense! So it begs the question, in the other zones, which elements (cults or factions) can we expect to see?
    The zone fluff on the main site notes where some cults are dug in. Stone field, for instance looks like it will see Death and Earth rifts, while Scarlet Gorge looks it will see Fire, Earth, and Death rifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrune
    Afaik the reason we are only seeing certain element rifts is due to the other ones still needing work. They want to slowly test how each one plays out. Making sure the bugs are fixed etc. Don't think there is any reason for elements not spawning in particular zones.
    Rifts from different planes fight each other. At a certain point, having a large variety of rifts from all planes would probably lock the monsters in combat with each other. Fire and Defiant invasions in Silverwood tended to clear Life footholds for me just as much as they ran me over. Reducing the types of rifts that spawn in one zone helps make them much more threatening to us, not each other.

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    Don't forget too, these "dragons" are not really dragons. That is the form they've chosen to take for Telara. They are opposing gods who banned together to consume the sourcestone of Telara.

We've seen Regulos' dragonl form and his "shade" or avatar form while in Mathosia. I wonder if he is the only one who employs the shade varient, since he is supposed to be the strongest.
    You know I was wondering about that too... Might be interesting to see what form Laethys takes (If she has some kind of she demon look as well as what I assume will be a gold dragon.) Was there a pic of Regulos, dragon form that I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnem View Post
    Rifts from different planes fight each other. At a certain point, having a large variety of rifts from all planes would probably lock the monsters in combat with each other. Fire and Defiant invasions in Silverwood tended to clear Life footholds for me just as much as they ran me over. Reducing the types of rifts that spawn in one zone helps make them much more threatening to us, not each other.
    Yeah I gathered they fight each other too, I saw this first hand between fire and life invasions. That could be an impressive battle royale if there is a zone that spawns literally all kinds of rifts... talk about major stress test!
    Last edited by Belenos; 12-24-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Cancel my previous remark... someone posted a pic of regulos!!! (well youtube vid)

see here:

Each dragon uses their cult to maintain a foothold in what ever area they can. So if the Aelfwar also have a strong showing in other zones, then I suspect, so too, will the dragon in terms of rifts.

JMO

I think all of the dragon templates will be similar although with different features based on where they've originated. I can't see the dragons being completely different, because, well, how many different types of dragon can you have (without changing the colour scene) heh?

I must admit I can't wait to see them in-game!

Guild Leader of Reborn.
    Steampike-EU.
    -Disbanded-

Well overall I am just thinking from an artistic standpoint. I love to see mythical creatures, and used to draw them myself as a kid, so I always get excited to see how artists transalate things from concept to fully fleshed out 3d, where we can fight or die by it.

Btw if you look at the shapes of the dragons we have seen thus far, there is a fair amount of variation in their design. My favorite so far is Greenscale, who looks like a combo of Jabba the Hutt, Ahnold, and a really mean, ticked off, giant Iguana with wings. Even his face looks like the dragon you love to hate.

By contrast, look at the fluid lines of Crucia, and her brilliant white scales. She definitely has a more feminine look (If that is even possible with a dragon), but nonetheless vicious with those razor sharp horns.

The more I see of these dragons, the more I cannot get enough of them.

Life - Greenscale and the Aelfwar. Very much a large number of the high elves. Very, well, naturalistic and verging on primal. Dress is wild but still 'elfish'.
    Death - Regulos and the Endless Court. I see a lot of humans, likely from Mathosia, etc. Embracing the end, and in foolishness thinking it will empower them. Dress is very punk, very dark.

Fire - Maelforge and the Wanton. Goblins are known for sure, but also humans, etc. Burn it all down! Dress is elegant and/or spiky, and rough.
    Water - Akilios and the Abyssal. I see a lot of humans. Driven insane. Dress is 'rich', but also in tatters.

Air - Crucia and the Storm Legion. Mind slaves.
    Earth - Laethys and the Golden Maw. Addicted by greed. Dress is the most 'expensive' and vain.

http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Blood_Storm

Do the Dragons in Rift remind anyone of the Dragon Gods from Chrono Cross? I always thought those dragons were very unique and well done. Greenscale in particular reminds me of the green dragon from CC.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherCrux View Post
    Do the Dragons in Rift remind anyone of the Dragon Gods from Chrono Cross? I always thought those dragons were very unique and well done. Greenscale in particular reminds me of the green dragon from CC.
    Me too. I hate that dragon lol.

I liked fighting them all together though - too bad that battle was far too easy for my overpowered Serge.

+ Reply to Thread