+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Novels need to be written and released for this game!

Default Novels need to be written and released for this game!

One of the best ways to flesh out a game world and have the lore firmly entrenched in the players minds before playing is to get some fictional novels released for the game. Having well known authors penn them could be expensive, but it would do wonders for the advertisment of the game! WoW gets Author Christie Golden and Richard A Knaak to write fiction for them and they are great authors!

My dream would to read a RIFT novel penned by my favorite, R.A.. Salvatore of Drizzt Fame! Hey there ARE Bladedancers in the game!!

This way it gets the word out there that this game is here to stay, and people who may not have heard of it, but know the author, would buy a novel just to see what the author has written - then they go "WOW! THat was awesome! It would make a great game! I wish they would.....what? Your telling me there is an MMORPG on the market selling millions and there are people all over the world playing this? (rushes from bookstore to EBGAMES and another sale is made...)

Heres hoping!

R.A. Salvatore is busy with Reckoning and Copernicus as well as having started a new series for Wizards.

But who knows, maybe you'll still get a Rift novel at some point. The lore team has worked hard on the world after all.
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

There is a comic book. I know its not the same and its way too short.

Thumbs up

Ya novels or major graphic novels is the way to go imo. I dont know if Knaak or Golden or even some of the BL people are under "non compete" clauses but if they can grab them for a story here and there man I would bow so lo i could probably kiss my own arse lol. And I agree with you OP, the lore needs to get fleshed out and as Corwyn stated, the team has worked hard to get the lore where its at

http://www.enjin.com/rift-signature-generator
    ***It is not easy being so forgiving***

Soulwalker

strongly agree to add novel as story line, better with cinematic IMO

Soulwalker

I would buy it.

I personally think Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman might be good picks to write a novel. Both are great authors.

I also say you stay away from the following authors:
    Stephenie Meyer
    Hilary Duff (yes she did write a book)

If Knaak had anything to do with the lore of this game, I'd run in the opposite direction. As for novels... as long as Trion were to keep players up to date with something like an online lore encyclopaedia for a small fee (like WoWpedia) I'd be happy, as I'm not the sort who likes to be forced into reading novels to keep up to date with a game's lore. They're nice for getting a more immersive recount of the story, but from the point where you're forced to read them to know what's going on (like with WoW - add in the fact that they just suck mostly), it becomes tedious.

If Knaak had anything to do with the lore of this game, I'd run in the opposite direction.
    Pretty much this. Knaak focused too much on establishing his own creations into the WoW lore, whilst neglecting the fact that the novel itself was primarily meant to be about a particular race or existing character. War of the Ancients, for example, became a time travel adventure for the first few chapters - simply to ensure his pet character was part of one of the biggest lore events in the setting.

So I'd rather not see him ruin another games lore.

+ Reply to Thread