+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Confused by Orcri comment in last dev chat

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

Question Confused by Orcri comment in last dev chat

Morgan and Nick, this question and answer happened during the lore chat on Friday:
    *''Question from Alaraca:'' Can you give us some back story behind the Highelf war with the Dragonian, and [[Orcri]], as mentioned inthe Highelf backstory and [[Purifier]] history? In terms of did they ally together at the same time or were they seperate wars?
    *'''<%missdoomcookie>''' Well, we do have quest content where Defiants are squabbling with Defiants.
    *'''<%missdoomcookie>''' There are a lot of little stories.
    *'''<%captaincursor>''' That was from a longtime fan I'm guessing.
    *'''<%captaincursor>''' As the name of the game has changed, the IP also changed a lot.
    <Alaraca> ive just been wondering about those races for a while now
    <%missdoomcookie> The Purifier history didn't have anything to do with that particular conflict.
    <%captaincursor> The orcri war with the elves isn't part of the lore of the game.
    However, on the High Elf race page it says this:
    Many centuries ago, a major turning point occurred for the High Elves during the Blood Storm Wars, one from which they have yet to recover. Crucia, the great dragon goddess of the Blood Storm, amassed her cruel armies and set into motion a plan to annihilate Tavril's High Elves. Worshipping Crucia as a god, the savage Orcri warred against the High Elves, systematically destroying their people and their homes.
    and the Blade Dancer page:
    Estrael became a legendary figure in Telara after defending a High Elven village for ten days from a major Orcri assault.
    Incorporating amazingly fluid and nimble movements in her combat, Estrael's unique fighting style frustrated and dazzled the Orcri tribes, holding them fast at the village.
    What does your comment about 'The orcri war with the elves isn't part of the lore of the game.' mean in relation to the above quotes? Thanks so much, I just want to make sure I'm being accurate.

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

Perhaps the Orcri were a much bigger influence in HoT then they are in Rift, and the developers thought they removed them from the lore already?

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Prophet of Telara

It got me a bit confused too. I just assumed because they hadn't released the official Guardian lore then that page was subject to change. However, the blade dancer has been officially released so I'm still at a point of confusion.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

yeah i was going to try to clear that up with them but who ever was moderating the questions cut me off with the next one and i didnt want to get yelled at for not asking rifty the question....
    "Few are selected to to gaze into the chasm that gave us our power, most are devoured from within, yet a chosen few have the will to walk away from such discord and torment with the true knowledge of what we serve. Transformed with eyes of pure hatred, of utter disdain, bound to its will, the embodiment of a demon. And I, the greatest of its children, am here to show you true pain..." -Maerawn

I guess lore/background are still in pre-alpha stage and they could be subjected to change. That would make sense.

Interesting...hopefully they fix it

Woh, a bit confusing... Maybe main page has not been updated yet? :S
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Noticed that too. Figure they meant the Orcri war wasn't happening currently as in when we log in. Either that or they had to rewrite the history to make Orcri playable, just saying, just saying.

So that is indeed a pre-alpha state continuity error. Totally our bad, it will get updated, though probably not for a bit. When the IP changed with RIFT we had a lot of legacy content that we tried to save, but as time marched on and the implications of the change became apparent we found that certain things didn't fit as well as we thought, and when compared against the schedules of the other departments, orcri got edited out for both time and lore reasons. Of course we had written up that blurb for the blade dancer before that decision so that had been made. Both marketing and production both call our time so it comes down to judging whether it's more important to fix that blurb that is scheduled to be updated anyway, or get the continuity in the actual game correct. (or even do a few extra lore quests, features, and other goodies).

So no orcri. At least for launch. We have some (fairly badass) concept art for them and some initial work on their model so it wouldn't be inconceivable for them to return in an update. But they wouldn't be the same creature they were back when they were leaked.

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    So that is indeed a pre-alpha state continuity error. Totally our bad, it will get updated, though probably not for a bit. When the IP changed with RIFT we had a lot of legacy content that we tried to save, but as time marched on and the implications of the change became apparent we found that certain things didn't fit as well as we thought, and when compared against the schedules of the other departments, orcri got edited out for both time and lore reasons. Of course we had written up that blurb for the blade dancer before that decision so that had been made. Both marketing and production both call our time so it comes down to judging whether it's more important to fix that blurb that is scheduled to be updated anyway, or get the continuity in the actual game correct. (or even do a few extra lore quests, features, and other goodies).

So no orcri. At least for launch. We have some (fairly badass) concept art for them and some initial work on their model so it wouldn't be inconceivable for them to return in an update. But they wouldn't be the same creature they were back when they were leaked.
    Thanks for the clarification, it is very much appreciated!

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, it is very much appreciated!
    Cool to see the lore is cared about, I bet someone was a little disappointed when they got cut.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo View Post
    Cool to see the lore is cared about, I bet someone was a little disappointed when they got cut.
    so disappointed they started another WAR!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread