+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Dragon Cults revealed

Prophet of Telara

Default The Dragon Cults revealed

Thanks to Nick and Morgan we now know the Dragon Cults and details of the BloodStorm:

Plane of Life: House Aelfwar are a breakaway high elven faction led by Prince Hylas. The associated BloodStorm is Greenscale. The cult is composed of the Aelfwar and the beings of faerie seeking to remake Telara as a primordial jungle.

Plane of Fire: The Wanton is the Cult of Fire, ruled over by Maelforge. Maelforge and Greenscale are very much in disagreement as Maelforge and his followers are intent on distruction; the ultimate pyromaniacs. This would naturally bring about problems to the Aelfwar's plans.

Plane of Water: The Abyssal, ruled over by the Water Dragon, Akylios. A collection of evil mages and priests summonign demons and doing rituals.

Plane of Air: The Storm Legion are essentially a hive mind ruled over by Crucia. Crucia is the closest of the BloodStorm to Regulos and once his mate.

Plane of Earth: The Golden Maw are essentially a collective of those who prize wealth and resources and are overwhelmed with greed. They are ruled over by Laethys the Earth Dragon. Laethys is most hated by Crucia and shares a similar corrupting influence over her minions.

Plane of Death: The Endless Court are ruled over by Regulos, the destructor, the dragon of extinction or the devouring snake. Regulos is by far the most powerful of the BloodStorm and he yearns for the quiet of void, hence his desire to destroy Telara. It is said that to let the other Dragon Gods win would be bad for Telara but to let Regulos win would mean the end of all things.

Info from the 2nd July 2010 IRC chat with Lindsay Morgan Lockhart (Missdoomcookie) and Nick McDowell (Captaincursor); the lore leads for Rift.

Sounds exciting. I particularly love how all the Dragon Gods interract and their ultimate plans for Telara. I really see why they are so argumentative over Telara now.

The only thing I don't really see is why exactly did Telara change their habits of eternity. I know it's the nexus of the planes, but is that it? Is there anything else that makes Telara so special?

Anything to add?
    Last edited by anagain; 07-28-2010 at 11:59 PM.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

Thank you Anagain for organizing the list of Dragon Cults.

"Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago."
    - Horace Mann (1796 - 1859)

Nice! Thanks for the clear summery.

Love this multilayer/complex dragon lore.

I have to wonder if they've put any thought into the growth of one or more of these 'Cults' into a major world 'Religion' in the future sometime. Lots of fun ideas could spring from something like this.

Nice one, mate, good find! I actually have been wondering how the Aelfwar fit into things and to be honest rather thought that my characters may have some empathy with them on some level, but of course sadly they're NPC enemies. It certainly does have a lot of potential, and the more lore the better.

I'm interested to see how these conflics between Planes and cults will turn out, I am hoping we will see some examples of this in Telara also.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Nice one, mate, good find! I actually have been wondering how the Aelfwar fit into things and to be honest rather thought that my characters may have some empathy with them on some level, but of course sadly they're NPC enemies. It certainly does have a lot of potential, and the more lore the better.
    You could sure roleplay some empathy for the Aelfwar. If you became a high elf you could say that a former lover had connections with House Aelfwar and was coerced into defecting.

My assumption was that Prince Hylas was a radical who was easily corrupted by Greenscale. I asked in the chat yesterday if the beings of fairie were always hostile towards the good races or whether they were turned by Greenscale, but the question didn't get through before the time was up.

I wonder if Nick or Morgan could answer it here. Are the fairie beings naturally hostile or coerced?

I did get one question through and that was about readable books. I'll be doing my upmost to collect all books in the game and we'll get the full picture there.
    We Were The Defiant

If you became a high elf you could say that a former lover had connections with House Aelfwar and was coerced into defecting.
    A bit obvious, that one, so probably just plain agreeing on principle, but disagreeing on method; the Aelfwar can only see the carrot, but the others can see the stick. Obviously the dragon doesn't particularly have the world in its best interests, but it's probably a jolly good liar. Wouldn't be the first time a group of people were conned by a spokesperson of some sort...welcome to politics, as they say.

Prophet of Telara

A bit obvious, that one, so probably just plain agreeing on principle, but disagreeing on method; the Aelfwar can only see the carrot, but the others can see the stick. Obviously the dragon doesn't particularly have the world in its best interests, but it's probably a jolly good liar. Wouldn't be the first time a group of people were conned by a spokesperson of some sort...welcome to politics, as they say.
    Yep, he probably chucked in a whole lot of stuff about how the other high elf families were after the Aelfwar's lands or they had interests more devious. Weaker minds will suck it all up.

The beings of fairie are probably even more closely tied to the land so it might take considerably less to influence them.

Maybe they spoke to said high elf's lover and coerced her in to believing that her man was key to this deviousness and using her to get what he wanted. He could be out to win back his lover and show her the truth of these coersive lies.

I'm sure there's some hefty magic and brainswashing at hand too. Tempt them with the apple, even if that's been done before.
    We Were The Defiant

Or perfectly strong minds...there seems to be this assumption that only the weak-willed or flawed will fall to corruption - that of course, all of us are completely immune and that We, and We Alone, Really Know the Truth.....see what I did there?

I try to steer away from the forsaken-lover thing, but I suppose it could work - gods knows many fantasy authors have been using that particularly well-worn track for quite a while now. I'm rather hoping the spearhead of the Defiant, Asha(sp), has a streak of Athena in her and not the usual "my-lover-died-and-I-blame-the-gods" thing. Maybe she's just LIKE that without the tragic romantic storyline. It would be a nice touch!
    Last edited by Tinker; 07-03-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Or perfectly strong minds...there seems to be this assumption that only the weak-willed or flawed will fall to corruption - that of course, all of us are completely immune and that We, and We Alone, Really Know the Truth.....see what I did there?

I try to steer away from the forsaken-lover thing, but I suppose it could work - gods knows many fantasy authors have been using that particularly well-worn track for quite a while now. I'm rather hoping the spearhead of the Defiant, Asha(sp), has a streak of Athena in her and not the usual "my-lover-died-and-I-blame-the-gods" thing. Maybe she's just LIKE that without the tragic romantic storyline. It would be a nice touch!
    Very true, there are far more reasons to switch to a more "different" ideology. Could be philosophy, just the way you see the world that let's you switch, or the actions of that faction do not attune to your own. To think that only weak-minded people turn malevolent is a bit arrogant, as both sides have their own thoughts and ideas. Sure one is more destructive to society, but that is how we view it. Someone completely different might view it in another way.

Romantic inclinations are far too overdone...
    Last edited by Paradosi; 07-03-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Goodness, this is interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by anagain View Post
    Plane of Life: House Aelfwar are a breakaway high elven faction led by Prince Hylas. The associated BloodStorm is Greenscale. The cult is composed of the Aelfwar and the beings of faerie seeking to remake Telara as a primordial jungle.
    You know, they actually sound like a fun crowd.

Total bummer players can't join with them....
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

Asha has always been a rebel, even before the Shade War. There is no "my lover died" in her story.
    Lindsay Morgan Lockhart
    Lore Lead - Defiants
    Trion Worlds, Inc
    "I learned at a very young age that the world is full of people who are terrified by knowledge and the power it bestows to the individual. Freedom is to be seized by those with the courage to think for themselves." - Asha Catari

http://www.twitter.com/missdoomcookie

Okay, you're just officially awesome now.

Eldran, that was mentioned and the answer was "What, and end the game?" as that was pretty much what it amounted to. I sort of felt the same way, the whole area of that Rift is amazingly beautiful and the Aelfwar look wonderful, but the Dragon running the show is a nasty bugger. After all, evil can be alluring - it doesn't always have to look vile; "look fairer and feel fouler" as was once said, no?

Eldran, that was mentioned and the answer was "What, and end the game?" as that was pretty much what it amounted to. I sort of felt the same way, the whole area of that Rift is amazingly beautiful and the Aelfwar look wonderful, but the Dragon running the show is a nasty bugger. After all, evil can be alluring - it doesn't always have to look vile; "look fairer and feel fouler" as was once said, no?
    Who says I'm not evil? ;)
    Eldran, Destroyer of Worlds! (TM pending)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast