+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Timeline!

Default Timeline!

Hello to our wonderful lore hounds!

In general, Nick and I will try to mostly stand back and allow you all to speculate and postulate and put things together about the lore. Part of the fun of lore is putting it all together. However, the timeline -- or should I say the MANY timelines -- is something that has caused a huge amount of confusion. So, on this point, we wanted to make sure to provide some clarity.

At some point, we'll put together something fancy and more specific than this, but for now, so you can get a better sense of the lengths of time of some of the world's biggest events:

1500 years before present day: The Blood Storm invades, all but Regulos are imprisoned on Telara. Regulos's body is destroyed, and his spirit banished beyond a Ward erected by the Vigil to keep Telara safe from planar invasion.

500 years before present day: The Eth Empire, which rose in the wake of the Blood Storm Wars, falls. In its wake, the Mathosian Empire rises, ushering in a new age for the people of Telara.

25 years before present day: King Jostir dies, and his two sons, Aedraxis and Zareph, become tangled up in a Civil War over who will take the throne.

20 years before present day: Aedraxis uses the machines built for him by Orphiel Farwind to crack the Ward, unleashing the power of Regulos onto Telara in an event that would become known as the Shade. This triggers the beginning of the rifts. The heroes of the Guardians are returned for the first time to stop Aedraxis from completely handing Telara to Regulos. Many are taken up from Telara at that time to be presented with a vision from the Vigil. However, others, such as Cyril and Shyla, remain on Telara to defend it from the rifts.
    At this time, Zareph and company go to Port Scion to be shielded within a great sourcestone barrier defending it against the planes. From there, they waged a long and bitter war against the rifts.

1 year before present day: An ancient Eth life factory is uncovered in Freemarch. Orphiel is able to get its Resurrection Forges functioning and returns Asha Catari from death. Unfortunately, hers would be the only soul returned with any sort of special powers, and hers were the product of a confrontation with Regulos and not true Ascension.

Shortly after that, Alsbeth betrays the people of Port Scion. She manipulates them into sending their forces out of the city, and then corrupts the city's magical defenses, allowing a massive death invasion in. The city falls and Zareph is lost, sacrificing himself to seal the evil inside.

Without Zareph to mediate, Orphiel and Cyril go their separate ways and take their followers with them. Thus you have the official division of the people of Telara into the Guardians and the Defiants.

Present Day - New ranks of Ascended Guardians return with a vision of Telara's destruction from the Vigil to guide their new crusade. All but simultaneously, Orphiel erects a Failsafe device, a temporal anchor by which Defiants might return if need be. As it is initiated, Ascended Defiants spill through from the future to tell of the world's forthcoming doom.

Defiant Future:

8 years after present day: Meridian is sacked by the Guardians. The surviving Defiants hole up within well fortified life factories to continue trying to solve the trouble of Ascension with machines.

14 years after present day: Orphiel disappears without a trace.

20 years after present day: Sylver Valis discovers the means to creating Ascended with machines. These new Defiants are sent back to try to avert the disaster they witness as they escape through the Failsafe to the past.
    Lindsay Morgan Lockhart
    Lore Lead - Defiants
    Trion Worlds, Inc
    "I learned at a very young age that the world is full of people who are terrified by knowledge and the power it bestows to the individual. Freedom is to be seized by those with the courage to think for themselves." - Asha Catari

http://www.twitter.com/missdoomcookie

RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar

Bravo!!!
    thnx Morgan!

Want me to double check it for you? ... j/k

wO.ot!!!!
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

I...I can't breathe *faints*

*Wakes up several hours later*
    Wooooooooooooohoooooooooo!!!!
    Akylios, the Profane: "is beyond understanding. The living interest him because the tortured howls of races sound almost like music. He does not seek victory over men any more than the ocean strives against the land. One day he will simply wash all mortals away just to hear them scream their silly symphony. He was mad even before he learned all fears and secrets. There are no words for what Akylios is now."

Laethys, Queen of Avarice: "The Gold Dragonís flesh flows like molten metal, and diamonds are her eyes. The riches of worlds will fall through her clutches, and she will never have enough while anyone else has anything at all. Laethys will feast atop a pile of famished wretches. All will adore her alone, and she will never give them quite enough."

Banned

love the post

Awesome! Missdoomcookie, you have to tell captaincursor that if he wants us to stay guardians he needs to start posting these sort of things as well... :P
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

So officially The Guardians and The Defiants are one year old? Or did they form unofficially some time before Zeraphs death?

*puts on a mechanics hat and goes to tweak her characters*

This should be a sticky, it really should be!
    Last edited by Talila; 03-08-2011 at 10:04 PM.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    So officially The Guardians and The Defiants are one year old? Or did they form unofficially some time before Zeraphs death?

*puts on a mechanics hat and goes to tweak her characters*

This should be a sticky, it really should be!
    The Guardians formed in Ardenburg, as you play the G starter zone. That would make them 20 years old. The Defiant was a loosely used term during that period and didn't stick as a faction name until the seperation. I touched on this in my "Ardenburg Lore Post", awhile back.

"Without Zareph to mediate, Orphiel and Cyril go their separate ways and take their followers with them. Thus you have the official division of the people of Telara into the Guardians and the Defiants."
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

Champion of Telara Hackiedoodle's Avatar

Oh my God, this was wonderful! Thank you!
    Krimhilde, Warrior
    Ambya, Cleric

Rift Disciple

Hi! Coming over from the german forums First of all: Great Timeline! Thanks! Fits with what I had in mind as a timeline for Telara... but then...

there's the comic in the Collector's Edition... It kind of mixes everything up again, is that right? In the comic (at least in the German translation), Jostir dies 80 years ago and at that same time, on the fields of Stillmoor, Aedraxis opens the crack without any machinery and we get the whole "everything dies, everything comes back again".

But that sounds pretty much like Alpha? It's actually 20 years ago during the Guardian starting zone, right? That's where Asha's dead body can be found at least.

What else is wrong in the comic? The whole story around Alsbeth seems to fit.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Devileen View Post
    Hi! Coming over from the german forums First of all: Great Timeline! Thanks! Fits with what I had in mind as a timeline for Telara... but then...

there's the comic in the Collector's Edition... It kind of mixes everything up again, is that right? In the comic (at least in the German translation), Jostir dies 80 years ago and at that same time, on the fields of Stillmoor, Aedraxis opens the crack without any machinery and we get the whole "everything dies, everything comes back again".

But that sounds pretty much like Alpha? It's actually 20 years ago during the Guardian starting zone, right? That's where Asha's dead body can be found at least.

What else is wrong in the comic? The whole story around Alsbeth seems to fit.
    looks like the comics is based on an older version of the lore, so its not anymore canon
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by missdoomcookie View Post
    20 years after present day: Sylver Valis discovers the means to creating Ascended with machines. These new Defiants are sent back to try to avert the disaster they witness as they escape through the Failsafe to the past.
    Is the intent of the lore that ALL Defiant player characters were present for this one event? And/or multiple similar alternate futures that ended up basically the same way? Or are each of our characters under the impression that some of their comrades were made in the present using notes brought back from the future? It just seems like the failsafe incident is the Woodstock of the lore - everyone thinks they were there, but everyone also remembers that there weren't very many others present at the time.

thanks for sharing this. Now, I have an idea on how the factions came to.
    a sig? oh, yes... a sig...
    Shard: Sunset | iGN: Neoma | Faction: Defiant
    ---
    Twitter | Youtube | Deviantart | Personal Site

RIFT Guide Writer

According to this we Guardians win!

WOOHOO!

This timeline was very helpful. Things tie together for me a bit better now. I'm now looking up all the major players and learning more about them. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Archaegeo View Post
    According to this we Guardians win!

WOOHOO!
    No one wins when everyone dies at the end. You especially don't win when you sack the Defiant capital, get killed, and because you crippled the Defiants, they can't fight either and have to use temporal time-travelers to hopefully prevent what has happened from happening.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast