+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Omedon
  • 1 Post By Salvatrix

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: IA "anti-leeching" too tight for limited spawn "gather" IAs

Default IA "anti-leeching" too tight for limited spawn "gather" IAs

Just finished the IA "setting up camp" with I think the largest IA group that has ever been in that zone (somewhere on brevane), and while the large groups and the fun involved with this new system are indeed glorious, we collectively decided that what we encountered needs to be reported.

This IA involves bringing many items to a central point, and the number needed for our group was over 100, which would potentially be a fair scale for a group this size, if not for the fact that the limited spawn points would get picked clean and then lie dormant for a time while members of the group, legitimately contributing, would drop out of range for receiving credit for the IA. I personally dropped out three times (grabbing another spawn puts one back in range), and barely made it to being counted when the IA ended.

I understand that "leeching" needs to be policed, but this was doing exactly what I feared it would do: turning the IA, and ones like it, into a competitive "get there before the other guy" race to catch limited spawns just to remain "counted." Please loosen the "credit range" requirements or increase the spawns. We really, really don't need IAs becoming the very thing they were meant to give us an alternative to: competitive open-world spawn racing.

I would rather see an AFK'er get *gasp* the odd IA's experience reward than count out people trying their damnedest to contribute with the system working against them.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Omedon; 04-15-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    "Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." -Raistlin Majere

Tales from the Void: http://omedon.tumblr.com

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #2
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

I have been thinking that the timer on THAT particular feature is too short, and for some reason, it is the only counter measure without a tunable time or other variable exposed to me to tweak, it is hard-coded. I am going to ask for it to be exposed so I can tune it.

For what it is worth, that time is not based on clicking a quest objective, but only on doing SOMETHING that might contribute to group success - like fighting mobs to keep the area clear for your companions or healing your groupmates. So there should not need to be a need to compete for objectives still, though that is likely not obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post

For what it is worth, that time is not based on clicking a quest objective, but only on doing SOMETHING that might contribute to group success - like fighting mobs to keep the area clear for your companions or healing your groupmates. So there should not need to be a need to compete for objectives still, though that is likely not obvious.
    I thought that might be the case, but I think we can agree that we don't want the culture of IAs to turn into "nothing spawning to collect, quick, run around killing things while we wait and game the system!"

I do want to say that I LOVE this new IA functionality, after a few minor tweaks (I'm glad you're on top of the mentoring in combat thing!) this will make IAs basically the best thing in any MMO anywhere... I might be a little biased.
    Last edited by Omedon; 04-15-2015 at 05:48 PM.
    "Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." -Raistlin Majere

Tales from the Void: http://omedon.tumblr.com

4.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #4
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Ideally, there should not be a real need to WAIT for IA target respawns either, but I know that might very well be the case in some places. Properly tuned, there should always be targets available, even if they require some looking. INSTANT Adventure should not be about waiting. ;)

I need to audit all of the old content for smoother ramping , making sure the number of objectives is appropriate, etc. But it will be an over time thing, mostly as I find time between now and 3.3.

But first we need to get Hammerknell up to PTS (instanced IA has proven to have a number of technical complications that we are still working out) and then Live. Hopefully we'll get some PTS testing done early next week (/crosses fingers).

+ Reply to Thread