+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Army Ants - Spawn rate of architects in Ashora

Soulwalker

Default Army Ants - Spawn rate of architects in Ashora

This quest (picked up from the border forts in Ashora) recently was changed from a repeatable to a daily. Reward was increased from 300 to 800 notoriety. Still requires 100 kills. That's all good. What was not included in the patch notes though was that the prevalence of architects along the wall has been severely reduced.

Before the patch, you had to fight to conquer a foothold by the wall for the dailies. You'd have architect footholds all along the wall with tons of architects in each. The repeatable quest was fairly quick to complete.

Now, every base along the wall has been friendly every time I've checked, save maybe one from time to time and the friendly NPCs seem to fight off the bugs on their own. You have on average one invasion active along the entire wall. Seem to appear 3 architects every other minute. Naturally some are going to be 5 minutes away spawning on the other end of the wall. They usually die within the minute from other people also trying to get this done. Just feels extremely futile trying to get a hundred kills this way. Usually done it in the end from checking in every other hour to look for bigger heaps, or...

...endlessly spawn camp the 5 something architects in the Arjuros camp where you drop off the shrunk rhino for the daily from the wall. This is what people seem to be doing now, entirely giving up on the wall. Rode by just now for example to find the spot have more players than architect spawns.

Would be appreciated if this quest could be re-evaluated.

There's also tons of archtects along the wall that won't count for the quest. Perhaps include these?

Rift Disciple

Quest is painful now. How will we ever finsh this woefull grind at this rate?

I was going to include this quest in my dailys for rep.

Then I spent an hour trying to complete it once. Finished it, turned it in... never picked it back up again.

The quest may as well not exist; currently it alone takes more time than doing all of the other quests that gives the rep combined, including both lv 60 chronicles.

And that's if you got Ashora to yourself. If someone else is killing them? Ha!
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Was planning to grind out my remaining rep for this faction via those Army ants repeatables... after that nerf. Not even worth it now.
    [http://twitch.tv/bctrainers/] [Lurk on reddit? Visit /r/rift][Want the old Rift forum theme? Click here]
    ...buff... clerics?
    Yes, my post content can be odd or downright blunt - I look at scenarios in a different light.

I can't finish the daily in a day due to lack of invaders. So far, I've had this quest for 3 days and still need 17 more invaders. We could sure use a significant bump in spawn rates!
    Everything's perfect about the past except how it led to the present. ― Homer Simpson
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight

6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #6
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Tacitus's Avatar

We are looking at making it so that all Architects near the border of Dendrome will count towards this quest.

At this point, only 4 of the Border Forts continue to be invaded, roughly one for each quarter of the border. Part of that was for technical reasons (too many invasions in the zone) and part of that was to curb behavior that was borderline exploitative.
    Rift Team Designer
    Live Content Watch Commander

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    We are looking at making it so that all Architects near the border of Dendrome will count towards this quest.

At this point, only 4 of the Border Forts continue to be invaded, roughly one for each quarter of the border. Part of that was for technical reasons (too many invasions in the zone) and part of that was to curb behavior that was borderline exploitative.
    it would also be nice if those Architects counted towards the Burning Ants achievement. I've completed Army Ants twice, and am still stuck at 896 for Burning Ants.
    Fahrenheit and Celsius temperature scales have probably not been rationalized due to puritanical reasons. If the freezing point in both scales was 0, then body temperature would be 66.6F. If it was 32 degrees, body temperature would be 69C.

Silly reason, no matter how you think of it.

Rift Disciple

I was by myself in Ashora doing this quest yesterday and it took me 35minutes (typically it takes anywhere 45min to 1hour if other people kill all 4 invasion spots). Because now there are only 4 invasion spots, you have to travel across all 4 to kill 3 or 5 mobbs per wave per invasion and that's assuming no one else kills them.

I agree that a spawn rate increase is granted, or increase the number of architects in each invasion. An additional fix as mentioned would be to include the surrounding architects in Ashora as part of the quest.

Plane Touched

Before the nerf went in I could find an army ants group maybe twice a week. They just don't exist anymore on any shard. Good job fixing the "exploit" of doing a repeatable quest repeatedly, and thanks.

Hey! It took me 12+ hours of farming to get my two cloaks.

(I also didn't even come close to finishing off my rep or the achievements before they got legacied =v.v=)

So rather than join a raid and slaughter thousands of ants, we now play the quest solo mode hoping that nobody jacks your kills as you run laps around the northern border struggling to get 100 kills. I thought this was an MMO where you are rewarded for playing with other people. I understand the desire to gate the reputation gain, but the spawn rate change makes the quest terrible.
    raid-logging casual | teninchesunbuffed

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #12
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Tacitus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fooman View Post
    I understand the desire to gate the reputation gain, but the spawn rate change makes the quest terrible.
    I actually cared little about the reputation gating - which is why we increased the payout.

I care a lot more about the server load of generating so many invaders (more than a single zone was designed to support) as well people going from level 58 to 60 in 30 minutes (yes, really). For those reasons, the spawn rate is NEVER going back up.

As stated, a lot more Architects in the zone will soon start counting towards this quest. Since there is shared tagging for the most part in Rift, people can't really "jack your kills" either - get a tag in for shared kill credit.

I might also consider reducing the number of architects that need to be killed for this quest. But the spawn rate will not be increased back up. It just is not an option.
    Rift Team Designer
    Live Content Watch Commander

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

50 would be a nice even number than what it currently is.
    [http://twitch.tv/bctrainers/] [Lurk on reddit? Visit /r/rift][Want the old Rift forum theme? Click here]
    ...buff... clerics?
    Yes, my post content can be odd or downright blunt - I look at scenarios in a different light.

There was a raid tear that would spawn near one of the forts, if you had 40+ people doing a GHunt there there could be DOZENS of elite architect invasions spawning non-stop.

It was awesome =^.^=

It was as glorious as the Swarm of the Century in Denodrome. Sooo many invasion spawns.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast