+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Salvatrix
  • 2 Post By ForumFritz
  • 2 Post By Salvatrix

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Carnage quests in gloamwood

  1. #1
    Plane Touched cYan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    247

    Default Carnage quests in gloamwood

    Just found out, while doing summerfest on my new character that you added carnage quests in gloamwood.

    Please don't add any more grinding quests to the lower zones, its already tedious enough trying a 100% clear character with all the SL zone carnage quest achivements.

    or: Don't add achivements for the low zone carnage quests, PLEASE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Promising preview! The less Rift conforms with the preferences of someone who still plays VG, the better for the vast majority of potential customers out there.
    Winzhi Defiant Mage

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    As Daglar (or Elrar?) has already said, these aren't new, they're 'kill' quests which have always been there simply re-badged .. and not everyone hates Carnage quests, just saying.

    If something is 'tedious', why do it?
    Last edited by Kerin; 07-26-2013 at 01:13 AM.

  3. #3
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,433

    Default

    The reply I assume Kerin was talking about:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    To clarify a bit - any Carnages in GW/SF will be conversions of existing kill quests. We are NOT combing through the mob pop to find places to add more Carnages. Nor are we increasing any kill totals - I was one of the people that eagerly assisted with reducing the kill totals needed in the SL zone Carnages.

    And it is from this foundation - that we are cautiously testing the waters - not carnage everywhere, not grindy kill counts, not reduced reward payouts. That said, I also agree that an improvement of how Carnage is presented would be welcome, but that would not be a short term item.

    And like in FM/SW, the goal here is to put more emphasis on the story quests and to make those story quests more interesting.


    *edit to add* Oh, also, any quest converted to Carnage has also had its factional pre-req stripped - so those of you playing IA on most shards can easily piggyback some XP payout. A little bit less useful for those of us that play on PvP shards. ;)

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    The reply I assume Kerin was talking about:
    It was indeed, thanks for quoting it, I tried and failed to find it myself.
    Last edited by Kerin; 07-26-2013 at 01:24 AM.

  5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,196

    Default

    D'oh! That was not supposed to go Live yet. Someone accidentally scooped up two of the updated quests and added them to the patch.

    As indicated in the quote from me above, we are not looking at filling up new spaces with Carnages, not looking at putting Carnages on every mob pop, not looking at adding new achievements associated with them, not looking at reducing rewards, not looking to increase kill counts (and in some cases actually reduced kill counts from what they were already), etc...

    All we are doing is cautiously taking some existing quests in Gloamwood and Stonefield to kill mobs and streamline them into Carnage. That is all.

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara Geopenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    D'oh! That was not supposed to go Live yet. Someone accidentally scooped up two of the updated quests and added them to the patch.

    As indicated in the quote from me above, we are not looking at filling up new spaces with Carnages, not looking at putting Carnages on every mob pop, not looking at adding new achievements associated with them, not looking at reducing rewards, not looking to increase kill counts (and in some cases actually reduced kill counts from what they were already), etc...

    All we are doing is cautiously taking some existing quests in Gloamwood and Stonefield to kill mobs and streamline them into Carnage. That is all.
    Left hand, meet Right hand. Right hand, meet left hand.
    Beware the Penguin...

  7. #7
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    D'oh! That was not supposed to go Live yet. Someone accidentally scooped up two of the updated quests and added them to the patch.

    As indicated in the quote from me above, we are not looking at filling up new spaces with Carnages, not looking at putting Carnages on every mob pop, not looking at adding new achievements associated with them, not looking at reducing rewards, not looking to increase kill counts (and in some cases actually reduced kill counts from what they were already), etc...

    All we are doing is cautiously taking some existing quests in Gloamwood and Stonefield to kill mobs and streamline them into Carnage. That is all.
    I would like to state: I was super happy with this when I ran into it in Freemarch. Was scavenging around, wandered into one of the named mobs in the marsh, killed it... carnage quest? WOO HOO!

    That said, can you please bump the rewards? At level 53, I didn't really get a huge benefit from 1700 xp. I think they should give at least 50k. *nods wisely* This is a serious and well-considered suggestion, please take it under advisement.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    That said, can you please bump the rewards? At level 53, I didn't really get a huge benefit from 1700 xp. I think they should give at least 50k. *nods wisely* This is a serious and well-considered suggestion, please take it under advisement.
    If I recall mentored scaling in the old world is capped at level 50 xp?

    However I don't think old world quests should have scaling XP, if people don't want to level in the SL areas then they should be made more enjoyable. If your doing it for PA then do something more xp efficient leave the quests as they are.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    D'oh! That was not supposed to go Live yet. Someone accidentally scooped up two of the updated quests and added them to the patch.

    As indicated in the quote from me above, we are not looking at filling up new spaces with Carnages, not looking at putting Carnages on every mob pop, not looking at adding new achievements associated with them, not looking at reducing rewards, not looking to increase kill counts (and in some cases actually reduced kill counts from what they were already), etc...

    All we are doing is cautiously taking some existing quests in Gloamwood and Stonefield to kill mobs and streamline them into Carnage. That is all.

    personally i think too much streamlining is not always a good thing.

    there is a certain thing about going to the npc, getting the quest, and returning for completion that makes it feel like you are interacting with the world in some small way.

    just going to a field and attacking mobs until an automatic reward magically appears out of thin air doesnt have much soul.

  10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #10
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,196

    Default

    The point of streamlining the content like this is to put a bit more focus on more impactful interaction.

    Right now, people go to a hub, see a bunch of bangs, collect a bunch of quests, all written in an attempt to reinforce or justify story, but but essentially just merging into the noise spike of hitting the hub.

    So what we are looking for in these early zone cleanups is to find the quests with more interesting interactions or multiple stages within the quest and focusing the story down onto those. Give them the story window color to call them out. Increase the XP on those, and move item reward off of other quests and onto those. Whatever we can easily do to emphasize story and the more interesting quests.

    And part of strengthing that is editing - what you take away. Move the simpler activites to out in the field pick ups. We don't need to try and force an NPC interaction or write a page of story justification to ask you to collect 8 goblin toes. Nor to kill those 8 spiders. We move those out to the world and just let them get streamlined into the gameplay. Doing so removes the noise from the hub and increases the focus on the interactions and story that remains.

    As I go through Stonefield, I have actually been touching up the hubs as well, adding bits of dialog to various NPCs, etc. Such efforts would be wasted if everyone of those NPCs popped open a quest window instead of allowing for normal dialogues.

  11. #11
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    The point of streamlining the content like this is to put a bit more focus on more impactful interaction.

    Right now, people go to a hub, see a bunch of bangs, collect a bunch of quests, all written in an attempt to reinforce or justify story, but but essentially just merging into the noise spike of hitting the hub.

    So what we are looking for in these early zone cleanups is to find the quests with more interesting interactions or multiple stages within the quest and focusing the story down onto those. Give them the story window color to call them out. Increase the XP on those, and move item reward off of other quests and onto those. Whatever we can easily do to emphasize story and the more interesting quests.

    And part of strengthing that is editing - what you take away. Move the simpler activites to out in the field pick ups. We don't need to try and force an NPC interaction or write a page of story justification to ask you to collect 8 goblin toes. Nor to kill those 8 spiders. We move those out to the world and just let them get streamlined into the gameplay. Doing so removes the noise from the hub and increases the focus on the interactions and story that remains.

    As I go through Stonefield, I have actually been touching up the hubs as well, adding bits of dialog to various NPCs, etc. Such efforts would be wasted if everyone of those NPCs popped open a quest window instead of allowing for normal dialogues.
    I was bored a few days ago and decided to level a high elf warrior and managed to get it to 19. In all I liked the revamp but I have a few issues, I know you wanted to move away from the faction war so removed the rescue and bridge quests and understand why but I feel that it wasn't a particular long quest line but there is a war going on between the two factions so why gloss over it in the starting zone.

    I like the current killed named mobs to get a carnage, I wouldn't like the kill 10 sentries before the boss to be converted they have been worked into the story and should remain. For all zones.

    We have pop up windows for everything, even when you get soul points now. I think it's a bad idea for the spend all button to spend the points with out you seeing the talent tree. I think it's enough for the button to bring up the trees and the existing arrows will suggest where to put the points for a premade build. Probably not one of your responsibilities but since I remembered.

    There are so many 'this item starts a quest items' it's a pain in the bum to search your bags for these items, would it be possible for a pop up window to ask if you want to start the quest?

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts