+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Killing "Rares" system is Flawed and stupid

Default Killing "Rares" system is Flawed and stupid

I am sure this is another repeating thread over a similar issue but really.

Being told by a Game Master that no matter if you assist another player or not in killing a Rare, the player that tags it first will receive credit.

Seriously what a pathetic excuse!

I mean its not annoying enough that the rares can be killed by NPCs or Invasions but the fact that because of this it can take to 2 -3 weeks in farming a rare.

Achievement reward when killing all the rares is crap/junk to begin with. What kind of game mechanic design is that?

So thanks to this info on tagging, Game Master Ruined my day! Good Job Trion!

By the way if you were curious which rare, it was [Mad Hogger] in IPP that is on average 2 - 3 weeks.

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

it wouldn't be an achievement if it was easy!

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawPlankton View Post
    it wouldn't be an achievement if it was easy!
    An achievement should be an achievement, quick and easy or challenging with reward.

For the amount of time it takes farming rares, and I know because its 1 year later in Rift, and the loot drops and reward is utter crap.

If you are going to make something this much of grind, reward it, if not, increase the spawn rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxen View Post
    An achievement should be an achievement, quick and easy or challenging with reward.

For the amount of time it takes farming rares, and I know because its 1 year later in Rift, and the loot drops and reward is utter crap.

If you are going to make something this much of grind, reward it, if not, increase the spawn rate.
    if the reward is utter crap why are you bothered then? imo pack of squirrels is the best item in game, I just cba to kill every rare :<

Yeah! Lets make the RARE mobs perma spawn!
    Then everyone can get the achievment without any effort at all.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawPlankton View Post
    if the reward is utter crap why are you bothered then? imo pack of squirrels is the best item in game, I just cba to kill every rare :<
    Because there is nothing else to do and I'm just pissed off because some Game Master told that I couldn't get credit for helping players killing a Rare.

Sad thing is, the rares on Ember Isle spawn a hell... alot faster than old world rares, and those rares require groups and they REWARD decent gear for 50s.

So like I said, if you going to make old world rares, a job Life grind, reward it, dont give players this crappy reward.

Not sure how much more you can troll this topic.

Edit: If you want to defend the idea of it being achievement, provide a Valid defense, not words with air
    Last edited by Toxen; 02-29-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Shield of Telara

The main issue I see with this is that occasionally the hit credit remains even after the person disengaged and not in sight (i.e. the hp bar remains gray even when it is out of combat). To clear that, I have to hit it then disengage to free it from any hit credit. Then another person can jump in and kill it before I can reengage, because in order to disengage I have to be far from the spot it was tapped. That would be terribly annoying.

You are basically posting about a symptom to a larger issue. The concept of first tag gets XP, which I believe didn't start until WoW, is inherently flawed as it is... and becomes EXCEPTIONALLY visible in a game like Rift where much of the content is open world. EI consists mostly of being the fastest draw with AOEs to tag first. This makes MMs the class to be during onslaughts.

The entire concept of tagging in this game needs to be looked at. Tagging for loot is one thing, but tagging for achievements, XP and credit on kills at least should be sat down and reconsidered. If, after careful consideration, they decide it is best how it is... then what can you do? But at least consider the possibility that it is horribly flawed.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

I am sure this is another repeating thread over a similar issue but really.

Being told by a Game Master that no matter if you assist another player or not in killing a Rare, the player that tags it first will receive credit.

Seriously what a pathetic excuse!

I mean its not annoying enough that the rares can be killed by NPCs or Invasions but the fact that because of this it can take to 2 -3 weeks in farming a rare.

Achievement reward when killing all the rares is crap/junk to begin with. What kind of game mechanic design is that?

So thanks to this info on tagging, Game Master Ruined my day! Good Job Trion!

By the way if you were curious which rare, it was [Mad Hogger] in IPP that is on average 2 - 3 weeks.
    Nobody is forcing you to do them if you don't want to do it.

If you don't think the reward is good enough then just don't do it?
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Edit: If you want to defend the idea of it being achievement, provide a Valid defense, not words with air
    because most achievements are big [EDIT]time sinks designed to make you waste a lot of time doing mostly pointless stuff to keep you playing the game longer.
    Last edited by TheSavvy1; 02-29-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Inapropriate language

Quote Originally Posted by Tolmos View Post
    You are basically posting about a symptom to a larger issue. The concept of first tag gets XP, which I believe didn't start until WoW, is inherently flawed as it is... and becomes EXCEPTIONALLY visible in a game like Rift where much of the content is open world. EI consists mostly of being the fastest draw with AOEs to tag first. This makes MMs the class to be during onslaughts.

The entire concept of tagging in this game needs to be looked at. Tagging for loot is one thing, but tagging for achievements, XP and credit on kills at least should be sat down and reconsidered. If, after careful consideration, they decide it is best how it is... then what can you do? But at least consider the possibility that it is horribly flawed.

Yeah but you see on Server Faeblight, if a rare pops, they require a group, every time I found a rare, I posted in World chat, what rare it is and LFM.

I have helped tons of players in raid group on average of 11-13 players that needed this rare, join and kill the rare on Ember Isle and received credit.

So everyone is happy. Also again the Rares on Ember Isle, have a higher spawn rate.

So its not flawed for Ember Isle and the Rares are Elite and able to kill any Invasion.

However, when it comes to Old World, its a Life Job to hunt these rares down and some of them have a 2-3 week re spawn timer, the reward is bad and the achievement is bad.

Now if the Achievement for calling all those old world rares a Unique mount, that is not already a rehashed mount, meaning its special unique looking mount.

Then yes its worth the farm.

However, we don't have that and we get a pack a squirrels as a reward form a /laugh from the devs.

To me, that's a fail system design.
    Last edited by Toxen; 02-29-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Ultimate Hunter.

Think about it.

You head on out into the woods looking for the big white stag, you hear a noise, turn around to see someone release an arrow from their bow, it downs the stag and they rush over to finish the kill.

You run in before the stag is dead and pop your pen knife in it's shoulder.

Guess who's wall is gonna have a a mounted stags head? Not yours.

Edit. Pack of Squirrels is the best reward in game.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 02-29-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Also this completely off topic but for the players that got the Ultimate Rare Hunter Achievement.

Please know that Since Head start to the first 3 months of Rift,

You guys all got a handicap because I was there during headstart when rares were respawning 5-8 copies of themselves and during server restarts they kept respawning.

I know a few players from my first server that had 60% of this list done for rares due to the glitches, bugs, and server restarts.

So players that started working on this achievement from head start up to roughly 3 months later, you do not have the right to claim you got this achievement fair and square, the correct way.

Just saying...
    Last edited by Toxen; 02-29-2012 at 05:59 PM.

I have helped tons of players in raid group on average of 11-13 players that needed this rare, join and kill the rare on Ember Isle and received credit.

So everyone is happy. Also again the Rares on Ember Isle, have a higher spawn rate.

So its not flawed for Ember Isle and the Rares are Elite and able to kill any Invasion.
    The respawn rate is one good thing about it, but the flaw doesn't come from your own faction. I'm talking about an onslaught, for instance, where a Mathosian and Kelari are in the same town. That gets really ugly, really quickly. >_>
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

I wouldn't be opposed to rare mobs being treated like invaders where you share them.

I think the spawn rates and everything should be the same, but no one would be hurt if two people could take the same mob or whatever.

Anyone complaining is just being a baby for babies sake.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast