+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Killing "Rares" system is Flawed and stupid

Or you could... I dunno.. join their group?

Also Pack of Squirrels is an amazing reward, you realize it's the only 'vanity' item that has actual combat benefits? They attack, it's awsome, sycronized squirrel attack ftw.

Also stop complaining no one is forcing you to do it - before tagging it was 'whoever did most damage wins' would you rather start on something spend time on it then have someone with better gear come up and hit it at the end for 50% + of it's life then you lose all your time/effort?

Pretty sure as you play through the start of the areas the very first time you run into a tagged mob the games tooltips explain exactly what tagging is, and how it effects you. So go read.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=523710&dateline=13203  03557
    Jhaded - 50 Rogue - Enigma, Faeblight
    If all that is good thinks you are evil, are you?
    I think, therefore we have nothing in common.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Toxen View Post
    An achievement should be an achievement, quick and easy or challenging with reward.

For the amount of time it takes farming rares, and I know because its 1 year later in Rift, and the loot drops and reward is utter crap.

If you are going to make something this much of grind, reward it, if not, increase the spawn rate.
    No one's forcing you to do something you don't like, your character won't get deleted if you simply ignore this part of the game.

Pack of Squirrels is pretty much the best achievement reward in the game, can help a lot in several raid situations.

It shouldn't be a freebie just because you don't have the perseverance to get it.
    Nope.

Soulwalker

Personally I would like it if rares/nameds had a PH or if killing in it's area helped with it's spawning. As is, you just wait until it spawns. No factor but luck and patience really affect it.

I hate Ultimate Hunter sooooooo much.

First you pretty much need to look online for the locations. First strike, as I shouldn't need to either patrol zones endlessly or look online for this stuff.

Then you have to be there during a time the mob even exists. Could be weeks.

Lame. Lame. Lame. Lame. LAAAAMMEEEEE

as inconvenient as this is, it makes rares more rare and more important to fight for.

Quite surprised at this response from you, Maeloda. I can't work out whether it's sarcasm or not.
    But allow me to address these often stated points, for the general population.

I hate Ultimate Hunter sooooooo much.
    As do a lot of people it seams, which is very puzzling for me. I don't hate, or I try not to, or express dislike differently. That said, there are a lot of things I don't care for. I don't care for raiding, I don't care for PvP, I don't care for anything 'against the clock'.

However, other people do. For that reason, these parts of the game should remain, in the state they are in as wanted by the people who do that content. I will simply ignore those parts of the game but be happy they exist for others.

First you pretty much need to look online for the locations. First strike, as I shouldn't need to either patrol zones endlessly or look online for this stuff.
    Well, no. You don't. Just like the finding of puzzles and cairns and the solving of puzzles, you have the option of being told what to do. Just as in instance and raid encounters. Do we want all mechanics removed from those because 'you pretty much need to look online for mechanics and strats'? Or are they left as is, for those who want to work it out for themselves?

Personally, finding the cairns and puzzles without help was a no brainer for me, that's content right there and really a one time content only, without help. I wouldn't bypass that on purpose. Similarly with the rares, I didn't want help. As it happened nearing the end of UH, I did get more involved with help sites and threads but it wasn't from searching for tips as much as, first checking for bugs, then challenging information given out as 'the spawn' when in fact it was 'a spawn'.

Then you have to be there during a time the mob even exists. Could be weeks.

Lame. Lame. Lame. Lame. LAAAAMMEEEEE
    Why is it lame? It's something you can just ignore, I ignore raiding.
    Ultimate Hunter.
    You search for the prey.
    You are in competition for the kill.
    The task is to kill rare mobs.

Now if searching, waiting, hunting, competition, no quick guarantee and rare; are not what floats your boat, UH is not for you, OPT TO IGNORE.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Ascendant

while i think making killing rare a public quest would be a smart move by trion, right now its a social/comunity problem. on brutmutter when someone finds a rare he immidiatly writes in global chat and a raid is formed so all who want can get credit of it.

Because there is nothing else to do and I'm just pissed off because some Game Master told that I couldn't get credit for helping players killing a Rare.
    Same thing applies to every mob in the game. Rare spawns are not special and exist only for the achievements.

Sad thing is, the rares on Ember Isle spawn a hell... alot faster than old world rares, and those rares require groups and they REWARD decent gear for 50s.
    EI rares are soloable by all classes.

So like I said, if you going to make old world rares, a job Life grind, reward it, dont give players this crappy reward.
    As others have said, nobody is making you do it.

Telaran

This whole rare killing achievement is something that takes more time than I'm willing to dedicate to it....so I just don't do it. I do think everyone in a group should get credit for a kill though, just like other quest mobs.

Ascendant

Did all this include the rare spawns in the starter area cus you can't go back for them and try as I might I can't get the Assassin to pop in the tree when I'm there. He attacks one of the guys running up the path. All the other seem to pop on rotation starting with the mayor but the guy in the tree is a pain.

I hate it (and yes, it was a genuine post above) because they are not in their own 'Hunter' category of Achievements (which would be good, even awesome to have), but are part of your *zone achivements*. I'm a zone completionist - I don't care about planar achievements etc, so I get all other achivements in a zone... except hunter and artifact ones.

Artifact ones I can kinda forgive, as I can actually buy them up in the AH. I literally do not have the time to be hunting for them for hours, days, weeks. I never will, so thankfully there is the AH to fill in the blanks.

But hunter? Guess I'm SOL because I can only play a couple/few evenings a week at most. Guess I'll never get it done because of my play time.

What does this mean? Nothing it itself, but it also is connected to the 'get all achivements in a zone' achivement, which means I'm SOL for that as well.

I'm 100% fine with it being moved into a large Hunter category of Achievements, because as long as its part of Zone, I don't feel a sense of achivement, only frustration and annoyance, because I know I won't get this done for many more months.

Oh and I'll never know the spawn locations unless I ask many people and/or look online for the exact locations + wait for server resets. Jesus..

Cairns and puzzles are entirely different from the hunter achivements. Yes, they're attached to the zone achievements, but they're also *one shot deals* that are mostly rather easy to find.

Hunter ones are my least favorite part of any mmo - spawn searching and camping. This is worse than any other thing to me, including PvP grinding, rep grinding, game dependence on raiding, etc etc. Far worse.

It's fine that you want to do it. Awesome. Keep it like it currently is, go ahead!

But having them in the Zone Achievements means that I will always have that incomplete achivement count staring at me every time I log in. Because I don't and will never have the time to stand around a zone for several hours at a time. Ugh.

This whole rare killing achievement is something that takes more time than I'm willing to dedicate to it....so I just don't do it. I do think everyone in a group should get credit for a kill though, just like other quest mobs.
    They do.

OP is talking about not getting credit for the kill of an ungrouped/other faction kill, just because they got a fly by shot in.

I don't log in anymore.

Maeloda,
    It's funny you should mention the zones achievements.

UH is one achievement, often QQ'd about, people wanting it nerfed, changed.
    I'm all for options and changes as long as it preserves the status quo unchanged for those who actually like the way it is. This is where UH differs from progression dungeons and raids, UH wasn't a requirement to kill EI rares etc and thus nerfing for progression isn't necessary, it is content that can always be.

So, what would be fitting for both, those who like UH the way it is, and those who don't?
    An UH light maybe? Well that is exactly what each zone achievement is, UH split up into 11 small chunks.
    You don't even need all 105, you only need x/x in a zone, 4 of 7, 8 of 10 or whatever.

Way back in May last year I completed 11/11 zone metas, you know what, while being an achievement, ticking off all the boxes, it kinda left me empty rather than full. But I had UH to carry on with, that kept me busy for another 4 months.

That's content for me, I can tell you it was the ONLY thing that kept me from walking away from this game even with a few months paid sub, in the lull of content period before they finally realised there is more to an MMO than 'you must raid to progress'.

We now have EI, I won't complete that, not for a while. Reason, there is absolutely zero achievement in that zone, so to make it an achievement I do every achievement solo, on all classes. The core (and the other 5 man quests for some classes) and therefore the meta will remain open for a good while yet, which is fine. A ticked box is a closed box, an unticked box is open, and therefore a goal and content to do and achieve.

Similarly, there is a raid quest in both SS and SM, although not part of the meta, they are part of the zone. I won't ever do them, I'm not interested in them. The zone, for me though is complete, other than IA's but that's another story as I refuse to PG with the latest 'need on everything from a fart to a fairy cake' direction.
    Trying to fit the odd one in early morning before I get joined is going to take a while for 200 to tot up. But again it's an open box, slowly getting filled.

Artifact ones I can kinda forgive, as I can actually buy them up in the AH.
    This is something I never understood, I could never, ever, buy an achievement.

I don't log in anymore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast