+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Instant Adventure: Divert to zone events

Shadowlander

Default Instant Adventure: Divert to zone events

I was in an instant adventure group in Shimmersands last night when a big zone event occurred, and it occurred to me: why not auto-divert instant adventure group quests towards invasions when they occur?

This would 1) increase zone event participation; 2) make it much, much easier to find & join a raid group that's doing a zone event (you can join it from anywhere in the world and be immediately teleported); and 3) it would be one step towards making rift-fighting a more prominent part of end-game.

When the zone event is over, the instant adventure quest can resume wherever in the chain it left off when the event started.

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #2
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

This is something we are interested in as we look forward to where we take IA, but integrating IA and zone events is not as simple as it might seem.

The main issue is that the goals of IA - quick adventures that typically take 5-10 minutes to complete doesn't completely mesh well with zone events that are bigger events not broken down into such chunks. And if we simply break up the content of a zone event into such chunks, we'd risk "punishing" anyone that participated in a zone event without first joining an IA group (due to missing out on the additional IA rewards). And if we don't keep the IA chunk size in the current range, we violate the promised goal of content you can drop into at a moment's notice and accomplish an objective quickly. And there are other issues as well.

That said, it IS something we are looking at very actively for a number of reasons - but no promises for any quick fix. ;)

On the plus side, with 1.7 rifts are now integrated into normal IA objectives, so there is SOME overlap. But that is a very small step.

Soulwalker

Default Rift Integration into IA Not Perfect

While your current integration of Rifts into IAs usually works fine, I have also had it work poorly. I was doing IAs in Shimmersand when I was told to go close a water rift for the next IA. The Quest circle was around a tear. I opened that tear and it wasn't a water rift. I ran around the entire zone and opened every tear, no water rifts so I had to let the IA time out and fail.

Yes if I had the PA ability to open a water rift that would not have been an issue, but is that really your intent?

Fang

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    This is something we are interested in as we look forward to where we take IA, but integrating IA and zone events is not as simple as it might seem.

The main issue is that the goals of IA - quick adventures that typically take 5-10 minutes to complete doesn't completely mesh well with zone events that are bigger events not broken down into such chunks. And if we simply break up the content of a zone event into such chunks, we'd risk "punishing" anyone that participated in a zone event without first joining an IA group (due to missing out on the additional IA rewards). And if we don't keep the IA chunk size in the current range, we violate the promised goal of content you can drop into at a moment's notice and accomplish an objective quickly. And there are other issues as well.

That said, it IS something we are looking at very actively for a number of reasons - but no promises for any quick fix. ;)

On the plus side, with 1.7 rifts are now integrated into normal IA objectives, so there is SOME overlap. But that is a very small step.

4.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #4
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fangarr View Post
    Yes if I had the PA ability to open a water rift that would not have been an issue, but is that really your intent?
    Nope, that would not be the intent. I will bring it up when I get into the office this week.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the response, Tacitus. I really do appreciate it.

I'm confident that you guys will come up with something good here since rifts and invasions are such a central part of this game (or at least should be).

The bottom line for me is, I really enjoy participating in invasions and zone events, but really dislike running around the map hunting for a raid group. You already have the two elements in place for solving this with IA. So please, whatever new system you put in place to encourage participation in zone events, please incorporate: 1) auto-joining a raid group, and 2) teleportation to their location.

Quote Originally Posted by fangarr View Post
    While your current integration of Rifts into IAs usually works fine, I have also had it work poorly. I was doing IAs in Shimmersand when I was told to go close a water rift for the next IA. The Quest circle was around a tear. I opened that tear and it wasn't a water rift. I ran around the entire zone and opened every tear, no water rifts so I had to let the IA time out and fail.
    Nope, that would not be the intent. I will bring it up when I get into the office this week.
    I've had it target a tear too. My quest was to close a Life rift, but the tear opened an Earth rift. I closed the earth rift and got credit. Looks like it's just an issue of the quest description being too specific. If you close whatever rift is in the target area, you get credit.
    Last edited by -Swag-; 02-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.

why not allow ancient wardstones in IA and ultimately allow a full IA group to force the zone event itself
    who took my names!

Any chance of making IA so you don't have to be grouped, or sort the loot roll options out in IA and PG's? I'm having problems grouping at all with a rabble that will need on everything from a pot to a blue, regardless of whether they need it or not.

FWIW, this was brought about by that silly change made in classifying dusts, we went from fair etiquette to greed (by way of need) within a few hours of 1.7 hitting.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 02-19-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Could there be a Zone Event button that activates or highlights when the Rifts start opening?

Or to mesh it with the IA system, have that button come up (much like "Teleport to Adventure" does) that would shift that player towards the ZE's goals instead of their still-active IA's goals. When the event concludes, they can rejoin the adventure.

Make it a choice, not automatic. Players like that. =]

ALSO: Any plans on making a PvP variant of these?
    I know on PvP Shards this is the default occurance, but having onjectives to assault enemy base camps could liven the place up. Maybe even tie it with the past-abandoned Ancient Wardstones to quickly change the ownership of a Zone and create a dynamic flux of power? Own all Ancient Wardstones = Spawn a mini-Event that targets only your enemy's camps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Rift Disciple

I think maybe I was in that same IA last night, half the group kept doing IA and half broke off for invasion event, then people for the invasion started joining the raid too. Not sure if it was via "join adventure" or "joint public group" though. So it kind of worked out already. Having some IA objectives like "protect a caravan during Shimmersand invasion" might work to be a ten minute objective that still helps the event.

Ascendant

I think if it popped up during the course of a IA when a zone event was strarting and said. "Zone event is about to begin, do you wish to merge with the forces fighting the planes?" Or something along those lines. That way you give people a choice to IA as they were on those small bitesized objectives or potentially invest a little more time in the Zone Invasion.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Champion of Telara

Rifts worked as I expected. I found it interesting (biased on my part) if there as a rift nearby I would open it for something I was doing. I had a few closing achievements left and IA would be 'forced' to close. =) I mean, it does grant the quest part complete for everyone so it's good in my eyes.

Rift Disciple

On a slightly off-topic subject, I have often been engaged in a zone event in Shimmersand or Stillmoor and clicked "join public group," only to find myself in the IA group. Sent in a ticket each time, But maybe this is really another issue; if so, apologies.

Rift Disciple

Zone events can also make doing IA's hard.

When a few members from the IA group run off to the the event, then lots of people are joining the adventure but not actually working on it. Then it goes from 'Kill 6 mobs of type x" to "Kill 36 mobs of type X" and they can be tougher too, depending on the hps scaling.

Just another unintended consequence it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottus View Post
    Zone events can also make doing IA's hard.

When a few members from the IA group run off to the the event, then lots of people are joining the adventure but not actually working on it. Then it goes from 'Kill 6 mobs of type x" to "Kill 36 mobs of type X" and they can be tougher too, depending on the hps scaling.

Just another unintended consequence it seems.
    The 'number of participants scaling' is awesome, especially when everyone runs off to an event boss kill just as a defend WS part of IA begins. As long as you are stocked up on charges (which even for a <lvl 50 is 6) defending that alone, when tuned for the highest number of participants, is awesome.

Tangent, had a similar experience with rift scaling in an event. There was ~3 full raids of most likely a good proportion HK geared as well as decent <HK geared, just at the end of a rift stage, the boss pops and everyone rushes after it. The rift was that WoM rift with all the dwarves, the stage populating just as the world and his dad leave the rift was the very stage where 50 billion dwarves pop. Oh great, just me. They appeared to be going down slow when AoE them, I thought I had bugged, then I realised they all had close to 50k. fun times.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 02-20-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast