+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attunement for clerics.. staffs primary?

Banned

Default Attunement for clerics.. staffs primary?

A majority of the "increase SP while wearing" for 2hs for clerics requires staffs. Death/life allows for hammers, but AFAIK, and from what I've seen from all competent clerics, none of us uses a staff unless it's required to meet focus requirements.

Further, you've recently nerfed crits effectiveness and scaling in several of our souls, guaranteeing that staffs are less useful for us (they have more int than wis, while hammers have more wis than int). As a result, 3/5 of our attunements only benefit staff users, which is.. nobody.

Why? Who thought this was a good idea, and why are they still employed?

I spent about 10 minutes flipping through the available options and then went with something which will probably backfire on me: picked the fire attunement which gives bonuses to both staves and maces (hammers) and i think wands too. So far so good... but it buffs Intelligence!

I didn't want to go with something which restricts me into using just staves or just maces but now i'm restricted to Intelligence (and spell crit?) buffs. It's the other edge of the double-edged blade. I wonder how soon will i start to curse myself for this.

With that said...does anyone know if we can pick up another plane and progress that one of the initial choice doesn't work out. Would 'lose' the points spent in that particular plane, of course but still...

Also, i fully expect Trion to change something with the planar attunement down the road, possibly resetting the points spent.

Any opinions how badly i'm screwed with Fire?

<5 minutes>

So, after checking http://rift.zam.com/wiki/Cleric_Plan...ent_%28Rift%29 Fire doesn't seem so bad of a choice any more. Sure, i'd prefer Wisdom over Intelligence but the availability of getting SP bonuses from all main-hand/two-hand weapons (maces, staves and daggers) is comforting.

Maybe my sleepy decision wasn't so bad after all. Or...was it?

Seemed odd to me too. Do we share the same PA system with mages or something?

Why are the attunements so specialized when it comes to weapons? Why not use weapon types instead? Rather than limiting Clerics to Staves (which they don't use), offer 2-handed instead. And Int? C'mon... The way attunements are set up right now don't exactly make sense.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

Rift Chaser

U guys reallllllllly need to go look at those again. There's 6 different ones (earth,life,air,fire,water,death) and each one seemed to add +1 here n there with minor sp to some things (staves,maces,totems) But nothing game defining.....hell id rather get the 5% swim faster 2% runfaster ones before all the + to sp or stats.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkhealer View Post
    U guys reallllllllly need to go look at those again. There's 6 different ones (earth,life,air,fire,water,death) and each one seemed to add +1 here n there with minor sp to some things (staves,maces,totems) But nothing game defining.....hell id rather get the 5% swim faster 2% runfaster ones before all the + to sp or stats.
    earth: staff x 8, wand x 8
    air: totem x 8, wand x 8
    fire: staff x 8, mdh x 8
    water: staff x 8, totem x 8,
    life: mdh x 8, totem x 8,
    death: mdh x 8, wand x 8

TOTALS:

wand: 24
    staff: 24
    totem: 24
    mdh: 24

Totem/OH benefits from both totem and MDH, which means when completely maxed, you get 72 SP bonus no matter what you're wearing.

So it's basically balanced. Pick what you want, max it and you get the same benefit always.

I didn't look at it closely enough. Mages get shafted similarly with MH/OH, I'm not sure about the exact numbers and if they get more SP, though. Someone should confirm. If they do, we need that fixed.

What is stupid is that to get some benefits, we have to waste points into attunement for something we don't benefit from (for instance, +SP for wearing a staff just to get endurance, it's stupid).
    Last edited by jMerliN; 10-01-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by jMerliN View Post
    earth: staff x 8, wand x 8
    air: totem x 8, wand x 8
    fire: staff x 8, mdh x 8
    water: staff x 8, totem x 8,
    life: mdh x 8, totem x 8,
    death: mdh x 8, wand x 8

TOTALS:

wand: 24
    staff: 24
    totem: 24
    mdh: 24

Totem/OH benefits from both totem and MDH, which means when completely maxed, you get 72 SP bonus no matter what you're wearing.

So it's basically balanced. Pick what you want, max it and you get the same benefit always.

I didn't look at it closely enough. Mages get shafted similarly with MH/OH, I'm not sure about the exact numbers and if they get more SP, though. Someone should confirm. If they do, we need that fixed.

What is stupid is that to get some benefits, we have to waste points into attunement for something we don't benefit from (for instance, +SP for wearing a staff just to get endurance, it's stupid).
    actually, it's:

staves: 32 (fire + water)
    2h hammers: 32 (fire + death)
    mh: 16 (fire + death)
    totem:16 (air + water)

so its even

Rogues have a similar issue which is causing me massive indecision.

BIS weapons are mostly guns and swords, with a few axes. The attunements for those weapon types generally buff strength or other less useful stats, while Air has loads of dex boosts but buffs daggers and bows...

+ Reply to Thread