+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Sagespire Massacre...

Default Sagespire Massacre...

I've arrived at the Sagespire at Scarwood Reach. Yikes.

-the mobs are spawning super fast
    -they have more HP than other mobs in the zone
    -they travel in packs of 3-4

When I arrived, they were not just attacking the entrance, but completely preoccupying the healer, as well as occasionally breaching the defenses and killing important NPCs. There were dozens of mobs.

I'm trying to do "The Open Door" quest to close the planar portals, but as a soloer, I'm finding it really hard to kill 4 strong (not elite, but strong) mobs, then try to close the portal but half way into it, I'm attacked AGAIN by another 4 mobs that appear. I die, and I hope that I've distracted them enough from the portal that I can close it. Wtf. At least label this as a group quest, because fighting dozens of mobs at once is ridiculous.

Solution: Half the mobs. Reduce the HP of the mobs significantly. Not even the NPCs protecting the place have a chance, so something is wayyy out of wack.

I had to have lv 50 guildies come in, and even then it took a while to clear the area. It reappeared and was swarming again within 10 minutes.

Also, Protector Carah, a questgiver scouting out outside of Sagespire, has a bad quest. It's still clearly in 'testing' mode, saying "WIP INTERNAL Luke Test Quest", etc.

This area doesn't seem polished at all.

Soulwalker

I just got here as well on a rogue alt. Something seems to be up, I was able to easily do these quests solo on my main. I can also see the WIP Internal quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mic Eli View Post
    I just got here as well on a rogue alt. Something seems to be up, I was able to easily do these quests solo on my main. I can also see the WIP Internal quest.
    I'm done with the area now, but please Trion, fix this up. It's a freakin warzone (though it does reset and give a minute of reprieve before everyone, including the healer and at least one questgiver, gets back into the fray full time...)

Soulwalker

After today's hotfix I tried this area again. The spawns seem to not be as ridiculous and the WIP quest is gone. Everything seems to be back to normal, thanks to whoever at Trion looked into this.

After today's hotfix I tried this area again. The spawns seem to not be as ridiculous and the WIP quest is gone. Everything seems to be back to normal, thanks to whoever at Trion looked into this.
    Woo, thanks! I've been too busy calling people and baking a cake to check

Trion may have a ton of hotfixes (comes with fast content), but for the most part they seem to be quite accurate and attentive toward them.

The WIP quest seemed awfully similar to the daily for killing death and life cultists, from Kains camp. It may have been one they just forgot to remove.

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #7
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Yeah, the WIP quest got disabled right around the time you posted yesterday.

The other aspects have NOT yet changed - the chaos is based on people being on the Open Door quest actively in the area. I took a look at it on Live this morning in response to this thread. It didn't look so bad to me, since there is supposed to be an element of chaos going on while people are on the quest, but perhaps it could still use a bit of polishing. I certainly agree that the Healer needs to not get dragged into the mayhem.

Which quest giver is getting pulled into combat? Because I would want to fix that as well.

Are any of the enemy mobs getting dragged INTO the tower? Or are key NPCs inside the tower getting dragged out somehow?

(I was the one who just made a tuning pass of this scene, hence my interest. Except the WIP quest, that was someone else, lol.)
    An Interested Observer
    #WontBeErased

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Yeah, the WIP quest got disabled right around the time you posted yesterday.

The other aspects have NOT yet changed - the chaos is based on people being on the Open Door quest actively in the area. I took a look at it on Live this morning in response to this thread. It didn't look so bad to me, since there is supposed to be an element of chaos going on while people are on the quest, but perhaps it could still use a bit of polishing. I certainly agree that the Healer needs to not get dragged into the mayhem.

Which quest giver is getting pulled into combat? Because I would want to fix that as well.

Are any of the enemy mobs getting dragged INTO the tower? Or are key NPCs inside the tower getting dragged out somehow?

(I was the one who just made a tuning pass of this scene, hence my interest. Except the WIP quest, that was someone else, lol.)
    The chaos being there, in itself, is totally fine. I love that stuff . But the intensity can be very intrusive. In fact, I can (as a player NOT on the Open Door quest) barely enter the sagespire without aggroing at least 2-3 of the mobs into the place with me. Then several NPCs (some of which I need for purchases, training, and quests) are stuck in an eternal battle :S. Even when I clear out the spire, they still head toward the chaos and get dragged in for several minutes.

I wouldn't mind so much if the mobs had HP roughly to the rest of the zone (2000-3500), but they have I think 3500-4000+? My pyro mage can handle 1-2 very easily, but when they are in packs of at minimum 4, dragging easy aggro from several other packs as I'm trying to escape the Spire, I get easily killed by... at least 7-8 mobs?

(also I don't quite understand why fire and life demons are leaving out of the same portal, regardless of color. I reccomend having 2 life demons of 2500ish HP each, at each of the 2 life portals, and 2 fire demons at each of the fire portals - instead of the 4 demons at each portal with over 3000HP each.)

Basically, I think the chaos is rather *too much*, especially for an area that will end up having even less players around as time goes on. A solo player, even on a very strong solo build, will find it nearly impossible at Lv 32-33ish, and *I* was at Lv 37ish. Tone down the attacks and have them in waves that the NPCs can more easily handle (like how it is at the canyon with the cultists at the top of Scarwood's map), reduce mob HP by 500-1000max, and lower the cluster size by 1-2 mobs, and it won't be such a deathtrap.

(keep in mind that this isn't whining for a nerf lol, but rather reporting that even the interior of the spire was in chaos whenever a player kamikazied inside. Other players, in this case, shouldn't be 'punished' for another player not finishing their quest)

TLDR;
    -the questgiver that would most often be dragged in is the female human right by the entrance inside
    -mobs are often being dragged into the tower, as they are being held back in the whole entrance area (so even inside, at times), instead of outside the entrance. When I have to rush in, I have at least 2-3 mobs that come after me, causing most NPCs around me to fight them. On occasion, mobs+NPCs have their action head toward the entrance, causing the NPCs to just get caught up fighting endless waves of mobs.

It's fine seeing an invasion force attacking a quest hub to me, because I know I can fight it off and protect this area. But as long as the player doesn't complete The Open Door and just chills inside (as I saw when I first arrived), the mobs strength and numbers quite easily overwhelm both players and NPCs alike. I needed Lv 50 players in my guild to help out and clean out the place for me, just so I could do my own quests. :O

I just want to say that otherwise, I like that area. It is engaging, is a nice 'pit stop' in the story, and the Open Door quest in itself is pretty cool to get into. I like that stuff.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I just want to say that otherwise, I like that area. It is engaging, is a nice 'pit stop' in the story, and the Open Door quest in itself is pretty cool to get into. I like that stuff.
    I agree, that area is awesome when it works and leads to some pretty cool quests dealing with the Shatterborne cultists in the area below. I just think the chaos needs to be toned down a little, or maybe some more guard type NPCs added to balance it out. I guess I got lucky and didn't have anyone else around with the quest to add to the chaos. The only difficulty I encountered outside of the general chaos and NPC dragging was a single mob spawning as I was casting to close the four portals, but it was manageable.

I agree, that area is awesome when it works and leads to some pretty cool quests dealing with the Shatterborne cultists in the area below. I just think the chaos needs to be toned down a little, or maybe some more guard type NPCs added to balance it out. I guess I got lucky and didn't have anyone else around with the quest to add to the chaos. The only difficulty I encountered outside of the general chaos and NPC dragging was a single mob spawning as I was casting to close the four portals, but it was manageable.
    I had that problem as well. I'd kill the 4 mobs around a portal, barely (since my spec is more for a DPS coverage of a group - man, I kill those mobs easily with even one backup player lol), then 1-2 more mobs will appear as I'm halfway into closing the portal, then as I kill those ones, another 1-2 show up and I'm *always* dead by that point.

I do think that whole part, leading into the end of the zone quests is very good. Scarwood can be interesting if you look for it, but.. you have to look for it, lol.

13.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #13
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

While I have inherited all of Scarwood at this point and built some of the original content (almost everything revolving around Kain and the Sanctuary Guard), I was not the person that originally built the Sagespire content, so I can't take any credit for those ideas. I am just cleaning up a bunch of old bugs there.

I took a quick glance at the health of those mobs, and you are right - they are all set to be 150-200% of normal, for reasons that are not clear to me (which probably means there is no good reason in this case).

I did nothing to change where the fighting occurs during the event and in fact reduced the number of mobs from what used to spawn, but I did add some more NPCs to the front of the spire which is probably helping them get chained inside.

I will look at moving the fighting further from the Spire entrance (and make sure that the healer stays out of the fight - probably make sure the fight stays off the respawn pad too, since that is just rude, lol). Were there any other specific important NPCs that were often pulled into the fighting besides the female quest giver just inside the entrance and the healer?

I had that problem as well. I'd kill the 4 mobs around a portal, barely (since my spec is more for a DPS coverage of a group - man, I kill those mobs easily with even one backup player lol), then 1-2 more mobs will appear as I'm halfway into closing the portal, then as I kill those ones, another 1-2 show up and I'm *always* dead by that point.
    Was the above problem something that you saw yesterday or something you saw previously? I ask because that is specifically one of the things I was trying to fix.

Currently, a mob should spawn when you first come up and try to close the portal. That mob is in direct response to your attempt or will need to be killed (the name is even slightly different than the mobs that are running to the front even if they look like the same model). Once that model is killed, you should have a window to close the portal.

If mobs at the front are killed while you are at a portal, it is possible that replacement mobs could spawn and aggro on you. I could add some additional scripting to prevent that.

On the plus side, there have been no reports so far of those quests just not working at all since 1.4 - which was the key thing I was trying to fix.

Anyway, thank you for the feedback. I can't promise an immediate improvement on this since I am waist deep in some exciting new content (sorry, no spoilers!), but I will try to come around to this in the next couple of weeks. If you want to add pressure to getting this fixed more quickly (always useful for convincing producers to shift my time to hot issues), enter a report using the in-game feedback tool. As long as you write the feedback while IN Scarwood, I will see it personally.
    An Interested Observer
    #WontBeErased

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

Soulwalker

Having a really tough time with this quest right now. I'm a lvl 38 mage, so it shouldn't be that bad, but there are about 30-40 mobs all swarming inside and outside of the building. I can't step outside without dying in just a few seconds, let alone even get to the portals. If I do make it to a portal, mobs spawn while I am closing it, interrupting me and killing me in a few seconds. Something's not right with this quest. I've died about 6 times so far trying to complete it.

I'm Mellie on Faeblight if that helps at all.

Finally got around to this!

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    While I have inherited all of Scarwood at this point and built some of the original content (almost everything revolving around Kain and the Sanctuary Guard), I was not the person that originally built the Sagespire content, so I can't take any credit for those ideas. I am just cleaning up a bunch of old bugs there.
    That's fine . TBH, the whole Kain/Sanctuary Guard action (and now the more greeny graphical changes) is what makes this zone at all likable and keeps me going toward the end.

I took a quick glance at the health of those mobs, and you are right - they are all set to be 150-200% of normal, for reasons that are not clear to me (which probably means there is no good reason in this case).
    It will be a great help. 3000-4500ish health is totally fine for a Lv 40-45 player, or at least if the mob is single and not in groups, but as it is it can overwhelm both players and the NPCS (who would have otherwise been bulldozed by them if the guards didn't respawn this quickly).

I did nothing to change where the fighting occurs during the event and in fact reduced the number of mobs from what used to spawn, but I did add some more NPCs to the front of the spire which is probably helping them get chained inside.
    Hopefully no more changes will be needed then, but just in case...
    I will look at moving the fighting further from the Spire entrance (and make sure that the healer stays out of the fight - probably make sure the fight stays off the respawn pad too, since that is just rude, lol). Were there any other specific important NPCs that were often pulled into the fighting besides the female quest giver just inside the entrance and the healer?
    Yeah the big things are the Healer, the questgiver, and the respawn pad - and also the fact that (as the previous poster noted) players can easily drag several mobs into the spire and cause chaos without even intending to :S

The only other NPCs affected I believe are just the remaining NPCs in the spire, but that's only if the mobs are dragged in. Otherwise, its just the epic battle at the entrance.

Was the above problem something that you saw yesterday or something you saw previously? I ask because that is specifically one of the things I was trying to fix.
    It was just that one day, and I even checked yesterday and there wasn't any portals or invasions (just a handful of mobs wandering). I guess its only an issue when these quests are triggered, since a player can just chill in the area and go afk while things go to hell around them... wrecking things for other players.

Currently, a mob should spawn when you first come up and try to close the portal. That mob is in direct response to your attempt or will need to be killed (the name is even slightly different than the mobs that are running to the front even if they look like the same model). Once that model is killed, you should have a window to close the portal.
    Ah ok! Given your other changes, this should then be no problem for people.

If mobs at the front are killed while you are at a portal, it is possible that replacement mobs could spawn and aggro on you. I could add some additional scripting to prevent that.

On the plus side, there have been no reports so far of those quests just not working at all since 1.4 - which was the key thing I was trying to fix.
    Yeah that was possibly a big problem. NPCs and players killing mobs at the front, and their replacements effing up things for people actually trying to close the portals for the quests.

And no prob. Quests and events can be quite the thing to get a handle on - heck, even in the simple RPG Maker 2000 things can slip by when setting up events ;)

Anyway, thank you for the feedback. I can't promise an immediate improvement on this since I am waist deep in some exciting new content (sorry, no spoilers!), but I will try to come around to this in the next couple of weeks. If you want to add pressure to getting this fixed more quickly (always useful for convincing producers to shift my time to hot issues), enter a report using the in-game feedback tool. As long as you write the feedback while IN Scarwood, I will see it personally.
    No problem and thanks a lot for that forthright response and inquiry! It's something every section needs some degree of, because while things may be frustrating (especially for impatient and rude players), being in the dark about things can make the situation exponentially worse. As long as Sagespire is on some priority list, that's fine. The quests aren't actually broken, and I've already passed into Moonshade anyway lol.

I'll leave an in-game feedback (which I'm glad RIFT has kept since testing).

PS: Exciting new content --> Me=. The more the better. Raids keep raiders, PvP areas (instanced and open) keep PvPers, dungeons keep casuals, and quests (especially story centric ones) keep achievement hunters, lore hounds, casuals, and immersion players.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast