+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To Spend or Not to Spend

Plane Touched

Default To Spend or Not to Spend

This is the best place I could think to post this thread, so apologies if there's a better location somewhere (and for that matter, could someone direct me to it if so?)

I've only ever played RIFT to level 25 or so. I stopped playing for a while due to becoming much too busy offline, and only recently returned to play. My original server, Aedraxis, has become a trial server and I took the chance to restart as I was originally planning to do.

Now I am facing the dilemma I originally knew nothing about, and now know only little about; When I played my cleric, I immediately bought the planar torso armor, but I'm wondering if that's worth it? The 20s come fast, and I won't be able to enjoy that armor for terribly long, will I? So for my warrior (going tank, if that matters) should I just turn the sourcestone and sourceshard I have into planarite and wait to spend it in the next zone, or should I go ahead and buy the armor (which, at level 10, currently has 239 armor more than my current chest piece, and tons of stats in comparison to 1 str) ?

Any suggestions from people who know better than I?

Depends on how much plat you usually tend to make. I didn't find the planar items to be useful enough while leveling (on any toon since beta) to spend planarite on. Especially now since you can trade shards for planarite I just keep it banked. Same with favor from WFs. The only time I could see those items being truly useful (because leveling is obscenely fast in this game) is if your AH economy is completely dead.

TL;DR- save your planarite
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

Rift Disciple

Dont bother spending much on anything low lvl.. not plat not pvp favor or planerite .. lvl 50 comes in fast and u will need alot of everything then

IME don't buy any gear while leveling up. Especially with your planarite and favor.

Plane Walker

Buy your level 40 horse with favor and your 50 horse with plat. Spend all your sourceshards you get from rifts right when you get them. They immediately become useless when you go to the next area. Rift is a hyper-inflation enviornment, saving makes no sense.

Plane Walker

the only time you should ever need to spend planarite/sourcestone for warrior tanking is when you hit 50 and start doing T1's since (AFAIK) you can't actually get 50 without doing so (unless you happen to know someone who can craft implacable steel greaves at which point you only need to do AP/CC

it's a little screwed up imo, clerics can get crafts that give them immediate access to T1 tanking. rogues do too. but not warriors? wtf trion....

EDIT: rogues actually get 3, THREE different *chest* crafts. all of which grant +25 toughness how screwed is that?
    Last edited by twistinthunder; 07-05-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    'It's been a looooong time....

Rift Disciple

I suggest spending planarite as you level. The gear is significantly better than the stuff that comes from quests and will make your leveling experience much easier. While at first you are only get a few planarite from a rift, the drop rate quickly ramps up until it is literally raining from the sky in buckets at 50. If you have the sourceshards/stones to buy some gear, go for it.

Plat comes in much slower, unless you are good with the markets, and there are many more plat sinks so it's reasonable to hold off spending plat.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by darknazgul View Post
    I suggest spending planarite as you level. The gear is significantly better than the stuff that comes from quests and will make your leveling experience much easier. While at first you are only get a few planarite from a rift, the drop rate quickly ramps up until it is literally raining from the sky in buckets at 50. If you have the sourceshards/stones to buy some gear, go for it.

Plat comes in much slower, unless you are good with the markets, and there are many more plat sinks so it's reasonable to hold off spending plat.
    whilst levelling there's no need to buy any gear other than the stuff you get from questing.

like i said you best off using planarite for any NECESSARY gap filling purchases at 50(+13toughness gear to get you into experts), any sourcestones/sourceshards you gain on the way to 50 should be exchanged for planarite, this is because it will let you get a flawless source machine quicker and people won't hassle you about not having one.
    'It's been a looooong time....

+ Reply to Thread