+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Major Invasions - Rewards vs Effort

I have never played those zones but i done a few invasions in the starting zone of freemarch. (i know im a noob) i have a level 15 kelari rogue and i have a lot of fun with the invasions. The other day i dealt with a huge fire invasion. im surprised my mouse didnt get burned lol. in my experience the rewards outweigh the effort but maybe thats because i havent explored anywhere else yet.

I don't have a 50 yet but I have loads of experience with the planar rewards (or lack thereof) while leveling up. I currently have a 40 mage, 32 cleric, and 22 rogue that I play. The amount of planar gear I have had the currency to purchase on any of those is very low. I have yet to get a purple shard on any of those 3 characters. I constantly struggle to find essences to use in my focus and usually end up having to buy them on the AH because I'm lucky if I ever get any as drops.

I have played since beta 5 so I have seen a lot of things change in this game. Honestly, the rewards for participating in rifts and zone events were 100 times better in the betas than they are now. It used to be that while you were leveling through a zone, there were enough rift related activities going on that you didn't need to go even half of the quests in a zone to level out. You also used to get more experience for those things than you do now. You used to have a decent chance of getting a blue shard out of a major rift if you completed all of the bonus stages. If you participated in a major zone invasion from start to finish you could actually get a purple shard. Now you take your consolation blue and handful of planarite, being grateful that you even got that!

I miss the days when you left Freemarch or Silverwood with the full set of planar gear and the ascended powers, usually with some planarite left over to take with you to the next zone. Now you're lucky if you get enough blues to get the chest piece before you leave the zone. If you can get a weapon too, that's like... whoa!!! Forget about ever getting the pants because you're more likely to see a gnome fly out of your butt than get a purple shard. Chances are you won't have either ascended power when you leave because you didn't have the spare 100 planarite to buy them.

What's the harm in rewarding people for doing the rift content? You're going to level out of that gear anyways. The currency is specific to level ranges so it's not like you're going to be buying high level stuff with your easily acquired Freemarch shards. The problem with NOT rewarding people adequately for participating in these things is that they stop being worth the effort. When I'm leveling through Freemarch these days, I find myself walking right past rifts, dodging invasions, and ignoring footholds. Why waste the time taking those things out when all I'm going to get is 2 planarite?

Telaran

I have to agree even though i'm not 50 yet (44), i've participated in several major invasion events including one in Lantern Hook that took the raid 1.5 hours or so to complete. We killed tons of Rifts, lots of invasions, mini-bosses and the main boss. The reward for this 1.5 hours of effort that everyone was claiming would give us an "epic chest" to get loot from? One blue artifact. Wow. Talk about underhwelmed.

I'd be better off farming the Lantern Hook dungeon for gear. The planarite sub 50 is pretty slow going too so you never have much to buy the gear with.. Actually participating in most of the invasion needs to substantially buff your chances of getting actual blue/purple gear drops for your group!

Ele

Quote Originally Posted by Herbal_Fairy View Post
    I don't have a 50 yet but I have loads of experience with the planar rewards (or lack thereof) while leveling up. I currently have a 40 mage, 32 cleric, and 22 rogue that I play. The amount of planar gear I have had the currency to purchase on any of those is very low. I have yet to get a purple shard on any of those 3 characters. I constantly struggle to find essences to use in my focus and usually end up having to buy them on the AH because I'm lucky if I ever get any as drops.

I have played since beta 5 so I have seen a lot of things change in this game. Honestly, the rewards for participating in rifts and zone events were 100 times better in the betas than they are now. It used to be that while you were leveling through a zone, there were enough rift related activities going on that you didn't need to go even half of the quests in a zone to level out. You also used to get more experience for those things than you do now. You used to have a decent chance of getting a blue shard out of a major rift if you completed all of the bonus stages. If you participated in a major zone invasion from start to finish you could actually get a purple shard. Now you take your consolation blue and handful of planarite, being grateful that you even got that!

I miss the days when you left Freemarch or Silverwood with the full set of planar gear and the ascended powers, usually with some planarite left over to take with you to the next zone. Now you're lucky if you get enough blues to get the chest piece before you leave the zone. If you can get a weapon too, that's like... whoa!!! Forget about ever getting the pants because you're more likely to see a gnome fly out of your butt than get a purple shard. Chances are you won't have either ascended power when you leave because you didn't have the spare 100 planarite to buy them.

What's the harm in rewarding people for doing the rift content? You're going to level out of that gear anyways. The currency is specific to level ranges so it's not like you're going to be buying high level stuff with your easily acquired Freemarch shards. The problem with NOT rewarding people adequately for participating in these things is that they stop being worth the effort. When I'm leveling through Freemarch these days, I find myself walking right past rifts, dodging invasions, and ignoring footholds. Why waste the time taking those things out when all I'm going to get is 2 planarite?
    What Herbal said almost exactly, with the addition, for me, of a couple more toons than s/he has. I've been playing since beta 4 and a lot of things have changed since then, some for the better, some not so much. The rewards vs effort is in the not so much category. At the present time, doing pretty much anything that should award you decent loot isn't worth doing because that loot is non-existent. I, too, can't find essences to fit my level 7 focus - I was in my low 20s when I got my first one - and solo'ing a rift that's at-level or a little higher? When 2 planarite is my reward for half an hour of my time and carefully strategic plan of attack, it's just not worth the effort. I hate that I'm now skipping what made Rift so awesome to begin with, because man, I loved doing it when the rewards were decent (they don't even need to be epic, just decent!). As it stands now, I just give everything but major invasions a pass, and I only get involved in those because the nature of the invasion makes it difficult to ignore.

This is sad. I remember in the first two weeks of the game, everyone would get really excited during invasions because of the loot rewards. You'd get stacks of the rift consumables (now you get maybe two), full sets of artifacts (now you get none), hundreds of planarite and shards to buy the gear and abilities. Everyone helped out with the bosses because you wanted a purple shard. Now, the only reason to do an invasion at all is to finish up your achievement, and then you only care about killing the boss. For a blue shard that you can get from doing wardstone dailies anyway.

Most of the time I don't even bother with bonus stages on a rift anymore. It's much much easier to just let the timer expire on stage 3. The rewards for going to 5 definitely do not outweigh the time and effort to solo an elite boss, and I'm just trying to get my closure counts up for either Defender achieves or Plane achieves.

One of the big draws for me is the sheer density of invasion forces. You can burn through an incredible amount of them with an AoE build, and while the planarite isn't as crazy as it was pre-1.2, it still adds up. Moreover, you know all those folks who talk about not having any planar dust? Not only do you not have to worry about that, you can make a good profit on the AH. And sub-bosses give sourceshards that now can be exchanged for 250 planarite, planarite which in turn can be saved towards expert or raid lures.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by camelotcrusade View Post
    I'm glad people like you are posting clear, well-thought out posts about this. I'm not quite 50 but have had a small taste of this and am not looking forward to the feast.

I do want to bring up one more thing that might be a factor. With zones being so big and the mobs packed in so tight, could part of the problem simply be getting to where the action is in an efficient way?

In the lower zones a lot of events fail, and I think part of the reason is due to people being in East Bufu when something important is going on in West Bufu. Sure, people will run down you and your grandma to get to the zone boss, but otherwise I think the "can't be bothered" factor increases with distance relative to your goal. You might arrive, you might be too late, or you might get one whack in an 2 planarite.

So, what to do? Well, I like the idea of an ascended power that teleports you to an invasion. You pop it, pick one on the map, and whomp, there you go. Costs you a planar charge, or maybe it costs all three. But if you really wanted to get there and help, you could. Or you could use it to get around and go on with your business... but either way, invasions would be good things.
    Also lower levels are much more vulnerable to area mobs, and those aggro radius' can be quite large at for some of them. SO that equals having to go the LONG way around certain areas instead of making a bee line to the Rift. lot of the time,its not worth the effort.

Plane Walker

Last night in Iron Pine Peak, there were 2 invasions.. The first minor one we fought off ok.
    The second was a major one, and it seems that people had cleared the previous one (only 15 mins previous) and cleared off!
    It was great fun trying to defend against an onslaught of waves of elites.
    For these 2 invasions I earned a few k planarite. I think I had about 6k before this event (42 levels to acquire that), and 45 mins later I had over 10k!
    Every few secs more rewards were popping up, like 60 planarite at a time.
    Last edited by CreepyD; 05-18-2011 at 04:31 AM.

This is the entire reason I quit playing any of my toons that hit 50 (two so far). I've been playing since the beta prior to the open one and endgame is either grinding warfronts or grinding dungeons, neither of which were fun in WoW and I have no intention of doing them in RIFT. I'd really hoped endgame in this game would have focused on the titular mechanic, but it seems that isn't the case at all. Bait and switch
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2