+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Artifact spawn mechanics

Soulwalker

Default Artifact spawn mechanics

I love the exploration and collection aspect of the game but I can't tell if artifacts are completely random or not. For example, some artifacts spawns are far off the beaten path, do these tend to drop more rare artifacts than an easier spawn? I thought so at first as I got a rare the first time finding an especially hidden spawn point, and several greens in a not-as-hidden but still out of the way area. Since coming back there though I've only gotten whites.

If this is the case, however, do certain artifacts ONLY spawn in certain locations, or does every artifact have at least a tiny chance of dropping anywhere?

I ask if it's not completely random because I love exploring out of the way areas but if you aren't really rewarded in some way for finding more hidden spawns it would seem kind of pointless.

Soulwalker

If you love exploring it is not pointless regardless of rewards.

Soulwalker

Maybe pointless was a poor word choice. But exploration becomes a lot more exciting when it is encouraged in some manner - the cairns for example.

I am likely one of the people who has collected the most artifacts in the game. And in these few weeks I think I have an idea of how they work. We know trion has an amazing ability to track basically everything. So i think each harvesting node keeps track of how often i is harvested over a period of time and adjusts its loot table in real time. I say this because i know of a few spawns that are always up when I check and gives a blue at least 50% of the time when I am harvesting them infrequently. This means I am assuming they are not well known because they are always up for me. But when I farm these nodes, after a few times all I get are low quality whites. Similarly I just started farming scarlet gorge. In my first two runs I collected 5 blues. On the next 7 runs I amassed 370 some odd whites and another 15 greens. No blues. I think I killed scarlet gorges loot table on my server

Quote Originally Posted by Smeegs View Post
    I am likely one of the people who has collected the most artifacts in the game. And in these few weeks I think I have an idea of how they work. We know trion has an amazing ability to track basically everything. So i think each harvesting node keeps track of how often i is harvested over a period of time and adjusts its loot table in real time. I say this because i know of a few spawns that are always up when I check and gives a blue at least 50% of the time when I am harvesting them infrequently. This means I am assuming they are not well known because they are always up for me. But when I farm these nodes, after a few times all I get are low quality whites. Similarly I just started farming scarlet gorge. In my first two runs I collected 5 blues. On the next 7 runs I amassed 370 some odd whites and another 15 greens. No blues. I think I killed scarlet gorges loot table on my server
    I've noticed the same thing. Try to only go back to those places like once a day, and don't let other people see you doing it. I've found some great locations where, if I check them once per day, I will get blues every time. If I try to farm them whenever they're up I get greens and whites.
    Success = survivability / time.
    Survivability = (health + mitigation + heals) / dps done to tank
    Time = target's total health / group dps

You may have something there. I have a secret spot in Silverwood that seems to spawn blues quite frequently. I have pulled at least 5 blues from one of three spawn points in that area but never more than two in a day. The thing that gives weight to your argument is that I never get anything good from common spawn points. The rares always seem to be out of the way areas.

I did have an artifact spawn in front of me and it was blue and it was in a frequented area. My theory is that artifact rarity was based on location. As an exmaple, I thought that some spawn sites give commons 99% of the time, while other spawn site are set to 50% of the time.
    i7 960 3.2 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
    Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA
    12GB (2GBx6) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 PCI-E 16X 2GB DDR5 Video Card x2 Crossfire Mode
    Windows 7 64

Never underestimate the human nature of seeing patterns where there are none.

I agree that nodes in specific areas seem linked to specific sets and that nodes probably vary in their chance of dropping white/green/blue. (But all nodes can drop all colors (I've found blues lying next to the road). Tough to get to nodes just seem to have a higher chance of dropping green / blue.)

Nodes that keep track of how much they drop seems a lot more bother than it's worth. Artifacts play only a small role in the game and do not warrant the amount of development time and overhead that would require.
    Last edited by Rarz; 03-22-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Rift Disciple

My theory is that it's got nothing to do with looting frequency, I think there's simply more than one category of spawns and the type is predefined by Trion.

Category A is the "best" category, "A" spawn locations usually yield a greeny with a relatively large chance to get a blue. Whites are on the loot table too though.
    Category A spawns have a very long respawn timer, at least a couple of hours.

Category B spawns respawn much quicker but the chance to find a blue here is very slim. Greens are a bit more common but these artifacts are >90% white.

And then there seems to be Category C, which is always white and respawns fast, like 4 times per hour or something.

As I said, this is my theory but I do know for sure that there's spawn locations where you can loot 2 blues or greens a day with only rarely a white. I've been doing that for a couple of days now with one spawn location.

I also know for sure that there's really remote, hard to reach places that I looted dozens of times but never yielded anything better than common whites.

And yes, some A-types are right alongside roads.
    Last edited by DooieAap; 03-22-2011 at 06:34 AM.

I've had a blue spawn right in front of me while I was picking up another.

I've had super pain in the butt fatigue drowning spots give me whites... every time.

I've found blues in the open, along a road and in a structure. Whites in trees and on roofs and in and on the tops of caves. Greens are anywhere and everywhere.

I like your idea of certain nodes having more of a chance to pop a blue and on longer respawn times but I think we are just looking for patterns as the man said.

Plane Touched

I've seen most arguments against time-based patterns boil down to "but that would be hard." No it wouldn't. Since at least the EQ days, MMOs have generally been generating monster loot tables at spawn time, with the history of exploits that implies, and I think that's still what's 'expected' by gamers. That's no reason to assume that all Rift harvestables (with their convenient progress bars) operate in the ancient creaky EQ way.

Just call the loot table at harvest time to check and update one time stamp. Scale the odds of common/uncommon/rare accordingly, use RNG to select table and entry, done.

I'm not saying that artifact rarity necessarily is related to last-gathered time. There's not enough evidence to support any real patterns right now. But if Trion planned ahead and knew the maps were inevitable, it'd be a pretty slick way to keep rares, well, rare.

If all the dedicated artifact hunters are busy mountain-climbing and deep-sea diving, lowbies might just stumble across something nice next to one of their quest objectives. Even if it's not the slightest bit true, isn't it pretty to think so?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebald View Post
    I like your idea of certain nodes having more of a chance to pop a blue and on longer respawn times but I think we are just looking for patterns as the man said.
    I think we're all looking for patterns, hence a topic about spawn mechanics :P

But after running the same route in Gloamwood literally hundreds of times, hoping to see Lycanthrope Spleen, Delilath the Hag etc. spawn even once, I just can't deny that the spawn points that yielded blues to me are just empty >99% of times while many places where I get whites all the time are there almost every time. I've seen only 1 or 2 times that a blue spawned on a place where I see an artifact very often.

There are spots in Gloamwood where, if I see the particle effect of an artifact (which doesn't happen often), I dare to bet 10plat that it contains either a blue, or one of the cursed Scotty's Research Papers greens.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by DooieAap View Post
    And yes, some A-types are right alongside roads.
    Can you provide some examples? I find this hard to believe.

And to add to your post, the white only artifact spawns are not only white only, but only draw from the small 3 artifact collections. For example these sets from Silverwood: Jerome Drift, Hazing Committee Supplies, and Quicksilver College. Also the small 3 artifact sets found in Gloamwood are not necessary for the zone artifact achievement, which I find strange.

Although, from my experience the white only artifacts and the all types artifacts share a respawn time, but this is hard to measure since the white only artifact spawns are usually placed in obvious locations and looted often.

People have been wondering if the longer an artifact sits, the higher it's potential to be a blue.

I don't know if this can be the case sometimes, but I have definitely just verified that this isn't always so.

20 minutes ago I looted a white artifact from the Rill Pond, and just now, I looted a blue from the same spot.

Ok. after collecting every artifact in Gloamwood, I can tell you some definitive things. There are 10 spawns in GW that are ALWAYS green or blue. not sometimes, ALWAYS. Spider cave people know about, but there are 3 more spots up in Shadfell and a couple in the mountains and a few more again by spider cave.

Example: If you know about the tower you can fall in to on west end of Shadfell. The art that you have to drop down to get (its the only one you can't reach by jumping down in to the tower you have to fall on to the ledge)is always a rare spawn. Up on the same overhang you drop down to it from if there is art on the tip of it its always a rare spawn. On the left hand side of that overhang where there is a broken wall with 4 art around it the art on end of the wall is always a rare spawn.

The waterfall cave, which is just above DD is always a rare spawn and there are 2 more that I know about.

If you don't believe me, double check it. This has been verified with over 20+ pulls at each location. Im not saying everytime you loot a blue, that node is always a rare spawn, but in GW at least there are certain nodes that ALWAYS drop green or better
    Name: Redbox
    Guild: DOA

Quote Originally Posted by Assassins View Post
    Ok. after collecting every artifact in Gloamwood, I can tell you some definitive things. There are 10 spawns in GW that are ALWAYS green or blue. not sometimes, ALWAYS. Spider cave people know about, but there are 3 more spots up in Shadfell and a couple in the mountains and a few more again by spider cave.

Example: If you know about the tower you can fall in to on west end of Shadfell. The art that you have to drop down to get (its the only one you can't reach by jumping down in to the tower you have to fall on to the ledge)is always a rare spawn. Up on the same overhang you drop down to it from if there is art on the tip of it its always a rare spawn. On the left hand side of that overhang where there is a broken wall with 4 art around it the art on end of the wall is always a rare spawn.

The waterfall cave, which is just above DD is always a rare spawn and there are 2 more that I know about.

If you don't believe me, double check it. This has been verified with over 20+ pulls at each location. Im not saying everytime you loot a blue, that node is always a rare spawn, but in GW at least there are certain nodes that ALWAYS drop green or better
    Yup all true.

This has been discussed frequently in the past few weeks. We're fairly certain at this point:

1.) Some spawns are more likely to be uncommon or rare, or always rare.
    2.) All spawns have at least a small chance for a rare.
    3.) Time spawned does not affect the spawn rarity.
    4.) Location may affect the type of artifact you loot.

Again this is still mostly speculation, but from the information gathered from quite a few posters here gathering hundred and thousands of artifacts it is generally agreed upon.
    Last edited by Ailurion; 03-22-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Editing a post is not an admission of error, it is the application of an improved content patch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast