+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Silverwood artifact hunter's guide.

Post Silverwood artifact hunter's guide.

Okay so now that I am officially the greatest artifact hunter on my shard, and possibly the world, I would like to extend some assistance in the form of an artifact map, and some tips for hunting in Silverwood.

DISCLAIMER: This map is by no means comprehensive and is not meant to be. In order to obtain every artifact spawn location you would need the data gathered by many thousands of players over time, which is currently in progress. This is simply meant to show the concentrated areas of artifact spawns, allowing the hunter to find the most efficient path to the most spawns. I did not record all of the coordinates because I did not feel it prudent, however for my next map I will so that they may be entered in to one of the existing maps/databases. All locations are APPROXIMATE and you may have to look under, around, inside, behind or above things in order to locate the artifact in question. Most, if not all, of the information gleaned from the past few days of gathering artifacts is INCONCLUSIVE at best, and nothing should be assumed to be 100% true.

1.) The Map

http://i.imgur.com/ClVV9.jpg

Okay, so as you can see the majority of the spawns are in the upper two-thirds of the map, however there is a large chunk down in the lower starting area. The path I followed the majority of the time was starting at the Eastern edge and working my way up the mountains towards the back edge of the map, once I hit Gloamwood I would move down along the Western edge until I hit the starting areas below Argent Glade. This allowed me to pick up a majority of the spawns in the mountains and then move down in to the lower cluster. I would sometimes swing down in to the Realm of the Fae garden area before continuing along the top edge. However due to the amount of mobs and less than optimal terrain this was mostly done every other round or so just to get spawns that may have been sitting around awhile. Riding the edges also allows you to avoid many of the areas filled with creatures that will dismount you, or even kill you.

When I was hunting the rare spawns for the achievement I would cut out the Western edge near Gloamwood and go directly across the upper road that runs below Palisade and Realm of the Fae. This was so I could check for Werewolf at the far West, Vengeful Spirit under Palisade, Brod and Malrog in the treant area, and finally Mok to the North East before heading back in to the mountains.

Whatever route you choose there are plenty of concentrated clusters for you to get creative with, but I would choose something with as little resistance in the form of mobs as possible.

2.) Why are some areas so empty?

I'm not sure, it could have been high traffic, or bad luck with getting spawns as I moved through certain areas, but with the exception of Palisade, Mirror of the Ages, and the Aelfwar courtyard, I covered every bit of this map extensively for the past 3 days straight. So it is unlikely that I simply "missed" some spawns by not going in their area. I only went through the other aforementioned areas a few times for the sake of getting as many spawns as possible for the map.

3.) Is there a pattern, or are they all random?

While I do not see any discernible method to the madness, other than them being hidden in cracks, crevices, and holes, the spawn points seem to be static as you will often find the same artifact in the same location. (Hence the point of this map.)

4.) How are the type of artifact and rarity determined?

There are several theories going around, but after considering most of them, I am 90% certain it is COMPLETELY RANDOM. I was willing to give consideration to the "aging" theory until this morning when only after 10 minutes of the server being back up I looted a rare blue. We have to assume since it was a restart that ALL spawn points were new, and could not have been sitting around long enough to age in to the rare. One could argue that perhaps some artifacts are originally seeded as rares, while the others must mature in to them, but Occam's Razor applied here would lead us to believe this is over thinking the situation.

At this point the only other theory I am willing to entertain is that harder to reach areas may have a slightly better chance to yield an uncommon, or rare. Of the seven rares I looted personally, 4 came from the cliffs of the mountainous border, and 3 from down in Silverwood. So one more loot within Silverwood would have made it dead even at 50%, which would dictate more to the fact it is random and the chances are equal all over the map.

Other theories:

Aging, the artifact can start as a common, and mature in to a rare.

Location based, artifacts are assigned according to where they are located on the map. (I found no discernible pattern among them to substantiate this.)

Harder to reach, better chance for a rare, this started from someone reading in to a game tip which states that almost exactly. However I feel this was alluding more towards the fact that you can find the puzzles and cairns in less traveled areas.

Again, until Trion give a definitive answer, this is all speculation and inconclusive "evidence" to suggest any of these are the case.

5.) Do restarts affect the spawns?

As far as I could gather, only insofar as they reset them. I do not believe there is a better chance to loot rares after a restart from my experiences this morning.

6.) When is the best time to hunt?

Obviously when there is low traffic and less people running through the zone, but since this isn't exactly a popular way to waste hours of your game time, just about any time of day will suffice with little to no competition, especially seeing as there are many spawns. The most highly sought after artifacts are the ones in the mountains since there are usually a good deal spawned together, and one pass through the top section can give you anywhere from 2 or 3, to 8 or 9ish, depending.

7.) Why do you think you are the greatest artifact hunter in the world?

I am, and that's all there is to it. I am also your doctor, do what I tell you.

Conclusion:

In summation, again I must highlight the fact that none of this is conclusive (other than the spawn points themselves) and some information could end up being inaccurate. I will not be able to edit this, so please verify with later posts in thread (should it be around that long) to make sure any pertinent information remains accurate to a degree. Thank you, and I hope this is helpful to someone.
    Last edited by Ailurion; 03-10-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Editing a post is not an admission of error, it is the application of an improved content patch.

Rift Chaser

Hey, thanks so much!

Is there any way I can contribute to this collection of data? What are people using? (something like Thottbot/Wowhead?)

I know someone is working on a Rifthead.net.

Here is one:

http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Rift_Wiki

However the listing of coordinates with only one mapped out at a time isn't the greatest format.

At the very least you can just save coordinates and add them to another site later once things pick-up a bit more.

Editing a post is not an admission of error, it is the application of an improved content patch.

I hate to fuel your ego, but praise must be given where it is due, 'tis some great work.

On a similar note, I am writing down every co-ord location of any blue artifacts that I find, to see If I can discern any sort of pattern from it.

On Firesand there is little to zero 'new' blue artifacts showing on the AH, apart from the raid set blues, there is maybe 1 new blue artifact popping every 4 days or so. Its still nice though, given their rarity they are still at best only 5 plat max.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragora View Post
    I hate to fuel your ego, but praise must be given where it is due, 'tis some great work.

On a similar note, I am writing down every co-ord location of any blue artifacts that I find, to see If I can discern any sort of pattern from it.

On Firesand there is little to zero 'new' blue artifacts showing on the AH, apart from the raid set blues, there is maybe 1 new blue artifact popping every 4 days or so. Its still nice though, given their rarity they are still at best only 5 plat max.
    Thanks! (I am mostly kidding about the greatest artifact hunter bit.)

That's a good idea. I only found 7 so there was not much of a pattern in my findings with the rares. It would probably take a lot more to try and even suggest one. How many have you found so far? It would be interesting to see if any of the spawns dropped a rare more often than the rest.

It's the same on Harrow. I actually bought 2 of mine for 2 platinum a piece just posting in Silverwood chat which ones I needed. There was one on the AH for 5 plat, but I didn't want to pay that much. They definitely don't show up on the AH much, and that's probably more to do with the fact everyone right now is in need of them rather than them being super rare.

Soulwalker

Wow, impressive work! Good job, this will be useful for my lonely nights artifacts hunting!

Soulwalker

uhm, it seems like i can't edit my post, so sorry for the double post.
    If it can helps, i think that some artifacts have a fixed spawn points or area, like the jerome set. that can be found mostly in the way from argent glade to sanctum. I'll report if i find a pattern in it or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessio89 View Post
    uhm, it seems like i can't edit my post, so sorry for the double post.
    If it can helps, i think that some artifacts have a fixed spawn points or area, like the jerome set. that can be found mostly in the way from argent glade to sanctum. I'll report if i find a pattern in it or anything else.
    Thanks, and definitely do. The more information we have the easier it will be for our alts!
    Last edited by Ailurion; 03-11-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurion View Post
    4.) How are the type of artifact and rarity determined?

There are several theories going around, but after considering most of them, I am 90% certain it is COMPLETELY RANDOM. I was willing to give consideration to the "aging" theory until this morning when only after 10 minutes of the server being back up I looted a rare blue. We have to assume since it was a restart that ALL spawn points were new, and could not have been sitting around long enough to age in to the rare. One could argue that perhaps some artifacts are originally seeded as rares, while the others must mature in to them, but Occam's Razor applied here would lead us to believe this is over thinking the situation.

At this point the only other theory I am willing to entertain is that harder to reach areas may have a slightly better chance to yield an uncommon, or rare. Of the seven rares I looted personally, 4 came from the cliffs of the mountainous border, and 3 from down in Silverwood. So one more loot within Silverwood would have made it dead even at 50%, which would dictate more to the fact it is random and the chances are equal all over the map.

Other theories:

Aging, the artifact can start as a common, and mature in to a rare.

Location based, artifacts are assigned according to where they are located on the map. (I found no discernible pattern among them to substantiate this.)

Harder to reach, better chance for a rare, this started from someone reading in to a game tip which states that almost exactly. However I feel this was alluding more towards the fact that you can find the puzzles and cairns in less traveled areas.

Again, until Trion give a definitive answer, this is all speculation and inconclusive "evidence" to suggest any of these are the case.
    My gut feeling is that it's some combination of all of these. AKA: Easy to see spawn on the side of the road starts with .1% rare, 2% uncommon, 97.9% comon, but over time can age to 5% rare, 25% uncommon, 70% common, while a hard to see or get to spawn may start at 5% rare, 25% uncommon, 70% common and age into 20% rare, 80% uncommon or something like that. There is definitely a random factor because I have had an artifact pop right in front of me in the middle of a traveled area and be blue, so location and age are definitely NOT the only factors. On the other hand, it can't be totally random either, as there are definitely spawn locations in Freemarch where EVERY artifact harvested is at least green, there are several that I have looted 5+ times and been green or blue every single time.

Very nice map. My map of freemarch just has dots here and there as a reminder for myself, i refure to share my spawns before i get the last freemarch artifact that i need.. Darn Scorched Letter. :<
    I will have to try these places the next time i go to Silverwood. :)

I've gotten blues from easy-to-get-places and hard-to-get-places. Until few days ago i was still pretty certain that some of the hard-to-get-places might have better chances of a blue. But now i'm not so certain anymore.

If my 'calculations' are correct, out of the ~15 Freemarch blues that i have found, i'd say only a 1/3 was up in the moutains or other more difficult places. The 2/3 of the blues i found were from really common and easy to get places. Until this day i think i have gotten 4-5 blue artifacts from the Rill Pond, which is, atleast within collectors, a pretty common and known place. Yesterday i got 2 blues from the same spawn (in Rill pond). One in the morning, on in the evening.

This is a great guide, i dont think praising for good work strokes the ego though lol

Kanami- Warrior- Champ/BM/--Duo- Rogue/Bard FTW!! and Rei- Pyro/Ele/Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
    My gut feeling is that it's some combination of all of these. AKA: Easy to see spawn on the side of the road starts with .1% rare, 2% uncommon, 97.9% comon, but over time can age to 5% rare, 25% uncommon, 70% common, while a hard to see or get to spawn may start at 5% rare, 25% uncommon, 70% common and age into 20% rare, 80% uncommon or something like that. There is definitely a random factor because I have had an artifact pop right in front of me in the middle of a traveled area and be blue, so location and age are definitely NOT the only factors. On the other hand, it can't be totally random either, as there are definitely spawn locations in Freemarch where EVERY artifact harvested is at least green, there are several that I have looted 5+ times and been green or blue every single time.
    That is a very plausible and interesting scenario. So instead of being seeded at spawn with a particular rarity, it is seeded with a chance at all three which is then determined upon looting. It makes sense. Again, I was simply applying Occam's Razor until Trion comes clean about it, if they ever do. Unfortunately until then we can only speculate, but this is a good thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Wani View Post
    Very nice map. My map of freemarch just has dots here and there as a reminder for myself, i refure to share my spawns before i get the last freemarch artifact that i need.. Darn Scorched Letter. :<
    I will have to try these places the next time i go to Silverwood.

I've gotten blues from easy-to-get-places and hard-to-get-places. Until few days ago i was still pretty certain that some of the hard-to-get-places might have better chances of a blue. But now i'm not so certain anymore.

If my 'calculations' are correct, out of the ~15 Freemarch blues that i have found, i'd say only a 1/3 was up in the moutains or other more difficult places. The 2/3 of the blues i found were from really common and easy to get places. Until this day i think i have gotten 4-5 blue artifacts from the Rill Pond, which is, atleast within collectors, a pretty common and known place. Yesterday i got 2 blues from the same spawn (in Rill pond). One in the morning, on in the evening.
    Yeah I didn't want to give out the map until I had finished, not that anyone from my shard may even read it, but just to be safe. Haha. Actually I was sure I would not have achieved shard first since I had not played much the first few days, and took my time doing all the quests, and easy achievements before I really hammered down on the artifacts. I guess I had better luck, or no one else on my shard gives a crap about getting campaigners until they hit 50. Normally I rush to end-game, but I am taking my time here.

I digress, keep us posted about that spawn you looted a rare from twice. See if it continues to produce rares more than not. That could give credence to the idea that certain spawns are more likely to produce rares due to location.

Quote Originally Posted by DuoakaKanami View Post
    This is a great guide, i dont think praising for good work strokes the ego though lol
    Artifact hunters of my caliber do not need praise, we seek only history, not glory!

(Kidding.)

Thanks!

Soulwalker

I digress, keep us posted about that spawn you looted a rare from twice. See if it continues to produce rares more than not. That could give credence to the idea that certain spawns are more likely to produce rares due to location.
    I can report that on the same spawn, i found first a blue artifact, then two green. It was pretty though to get it, but reacheable by anyone. Every time i do my farming route, i stop and check that artifact hoping to find another rare\green. My girlfriend got that same artifact twice and it was green both times.

Actually I was sure I would not have achieved shard first since I had not played much the first few days, and took my time doing all the quests, and easy achievements before I really hammered down on the artifacts. I guess I had better luck, or no one else on my shard gives a crap about getting campaigners until they hit 50. Normally I rush to end-game, but I am taking my time here.

I'm pretty sure no one has the shard's first on Freemarch collections, as it seems like Scion Banners are completely missing from the game. No one has seen any. So yeah, i still have a chance once the Trion people realize they are missing. ;)

Atleast 1 guildie has gotten a blue from the rill pond as well, not sure if it was the same spawn tho. I think i will start to record the locations that i got a blue from. Too bad i didn't start doing it earlier tho.
    Some of the blues i got i noticed +10 artifacts later when taking a looksie into the inventory. But what a nice surprised it was each time. :)

edit. Also lately i've been getting two of the same artifacts from spawns right next to each other. No idea if its just me or if this is happening to others as well.

Like yesterday, there was two sets of two spawns; from the first two spawns i got two of item A and from the second two spawns i got two of the item B.
    Last edited by Wani; 03-11-2011 at 09:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast