Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Storage

  1. #1
    Ascendant Slyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California USA
    Posts
    1,692

    Lightbulb Storage

    I thought I saw a post about this earlier, but couldn't find it with the forum search tool. If you already mentioned one of these ideas, speak up and take credit for it.

    Bag and bank storage is always a problem in every game I've played, especially in the early levels. Please consider these suggestions:
    • Inventory - at least 50 slots in the main inventory bag OR
    • Inventory - if we can have full bags in our inventory (like EQ) we won't need as many slots
    • Stack-able items - forget stacks of 10-20, think 200-500 or more
    • Quest Items - store quest items in a separate bag, or just update a counter and discard the item
    • Keys - Give us a key ring that holds all keys collected in the game
    • Fluff Pets & Illusion clickies - If these are in the game, put them in the spell/abilities book not in inventory
    • Bank Storage - at least 20 slots that can hold full bags (or 50 that can't), with a few slots shared among alts (like EQ)
    • Mounts - Have a Saddlebag for storage (like Vanguard)
    • Crafting - Have a specialized bag for storing crafting related items
    • Harvesting - have a specialized bag just for harvested items
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

    If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

  2. #2
    Rift Master Yaladan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Nearest Rift
    Posts
    603
    Never explain your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Elladar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Graveyard
    Posts
    2,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaladan View Post
    Replied there...
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

  4. #4
    Ascendant Slyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California USA
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaladan View Post
    Thanks, I do remember that thread now, but the one I was trying to find turned out to be ion the Vanguard forum !
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

    If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

  5. #5
    Plane Walker Winedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    I[*]Mounts - Have a Saddlebag for storage (like Vanguard)[/LIST]
    You know... the thing that bothered me about Saddlebags in Vanguard is the space was SOOOoooo small initially. Like the first bag was I think 6 slots? (I know crafters made some good ones, but a Saddlebag should always be able to carry more then a player backpack)
    If they do this I really hope they make the Saddlebag a greater bonus to the character.
    Games played: EQ, EQ2, COV/H, Lineage 2, DAoC, Vanguard, WoW, AION, Champions Online, SWG, DDO, LotR Online, Guild Wars, Darkfall Online, AoC

    Current: EQ1, Champions Online, Darkfall Online... (Thinking about re-sub on Vanguard)

  6. #6
    Ascendant Slyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California USA
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winedan View Post
    You know... the thing that bothered me about Saddlebags in Vanguard is the space was SOOOoooo small initially. Like the first bag was I think 6 slots? (I know crafters made some good ones, but a Saddlebag should always be able to carry more then a player backpack)
    If they do this I really hope they make the Saddlebag a greater bonus to the character.
    Oh, I didn't mind that. In the beginning even an extra 6 slots is a big help.

    And then you can get a 22-slot saddlebag with the Unicorn or Shadowhound quest by level 30.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

    If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Kalbuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    2,265

    Default

    Saddlebags where useless in VG after they made everything soulbound. It jsut became an extra bag slot. That was not the vision behind it however! it would hold you spare gear / corpse run gear or other vital items you would need in the event you had to recover a corpse.

    It's a shame we had to see that go.

    Regards,
    Kalbuir

  8. #8
    Plane Walker Winedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    Saddlebags where useless in VG after they made everything soulbound. It jsut became an extra bag slot. That was not the vision behind it however! it would hold you spare gear / corpse run gear or other vital items you would need in the event you had to recover a corpse.

    It's a shame we had to see that go.

    Regards,
    Kalbuir
    So true... though I must state that the Souldbound decisions all came after Beta 2 when they invited people into beta for buying Game Informer... Not Brad's fault imo

    Word to the wise... dont invite people who are just lookign to play somthing free for a while to provide feedback...
    Games played: EQ, EQ2, COV/H, Lineage 2, DAoC, Vanguard, WoW, AION, Champions Online, SWG, DDO, LotR Online, Guild Wars, Darkfall Online, AoC

    Current: EQ1, Champions Online, Darkfall Online... (Thinking about re-sub on Vanguard)

  9. #9
    Ascendant Elladar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Graveyard
    Posts
    2,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winedan View Post
    Word to the wise... dont invite people who are just lookign to play somthing free for a while to provide feedback...
    Well its hard to find out who wants to play beta for free and then leave, and who wants to play beta so that he can find any bugs/errors to help with perfecting finished product.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

  10. #10
    Plane Walker Winedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    Well its hard to find out who wants to play beta for free and then leave, and who wants to play beta so that he can find any bugs/errors to help with perfecting finished product.
    Well existing fans who want to play the game for Free is ok... But tossing a blanket "HERES A FREE MMO TO PLAY" invite out when the game is in beta... not good.

    I was in VG beta from 1 to the end. Infact I played that game for nearly a year before it even came out. I witnessed the most distructive/game altering/vision changing things happen directly after the Game Informer invites.

    This is because the original testers were a good core group of people trying to clean up the game under the original Vision document... Once the new guys came in it became "DO THIS"... "BE MORE LIKE WOW"... "ITS TO HARD"... "WHY CANT I LEVEL FAST'... Thousands and thousands of posts streeming in every day, leaving the original crowd outnumbered and unheard. This changed the original Vision.

    That being said, one person could say "Why wouldnt they want to appeal to this mass number of posts?" which is a valid question. The answer is best shown by looking at Vanguard's history... Give and Take MMOs leave EVERYONE half satisfied with the game... Flakey subscription numbers... Late in beta extreem changes that send the game to market full of bugs and missing content.

    Vanguard is a TUN better now... because they picked a path and stayed with it. Since its stopped trying to be like another game, and became its own game... Vanguard... the sup numbers have been improving (Not total, but the rate of new/re-sub accounts grows).

    Obviously there is alot more to this, and really if I went into all of it no one would read it due to its length... but I hope this explains what I meant by that.
    Games played: EQ, EQ2, COV/H, Lineage 2, DAoC, Vanguard, WoW, AION, Champions Online, SWG, DDO, LotR Online, Guild Wars, Darkfall Online, AoC

    Current: EQ1, Champions Online, Darkfall Online... (Thinking about re-sub on Vanguard)

  11. #11
    Ascendant Elladar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Graveyard
    Posts
    2,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winedan View Post
    Well existing fans who want to play the game for Free is ok... But tossing a blanket "HERES A FREE MMO TO PLAY" invite out when the game is in beta... not good.
    ......
    Obviously there is alot more to this, and really if I went into all of it no one would read it due to its length... but I hope this explains what I meant by that.
    Ahh. Cool I get what you mean. Have to agree that changing things in late beta, and releasing it with bugs seems like a bad idea, especially if you want to keep players that didnt join during beta happy. And also "Tossing a blanket "HERES A FREE MMO TO PLAY" invite" is definitely a bad idea. However if developers dont get enough people to test the game, they might leave out some bugs, that minority of players could not spot or find.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Tachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    I thought I saw a post about this earlier, but couldn't find it with the forum search tool. If you already mentioned one of these ideas, speak up and take credit for it.

    Bag and bank storage is always a problem in every game I've played, especially in the early levels. Please consider these suggestions:
    • Inventory - at least 50 slots in the main inventory bag OR
    • Inventory - if we can have full bags in our inventory (like EQ) we won't need as many slots
    • Stack-able items - forget stacks of 10-20, think 200-500 or more
    • Quest Items - store quest items in a separate bag, or just update a counter and discard the item
    • Keys - Give us a key ring that holds all keys collected in the game
    • Fluff Pets & Illusion clickies - If these are in the game, put them in the spell/abilities book not in inventory
    • Bank Storage - at least 20 slots that can hold full bags (or 50 that can't), with a few slots shared among alts (like EQ)
    • Mounts - Have a Saddlebag for storage (like Vanguard)
    • Crafting - Have a specialized bag for storing crafting related items
    • Harvesting - have a specialized bag just for harvested items

    Along with most of those I'd like to see shared inventory across all characters on an account for the server. If they want to keep BOP/BOE items and quest items out of that that's fine with me, but I'd still like to be able to share items with alts from my bank vault/storage.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Hanlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nightmares
    Posts
    2,731

    Default

    What I really want to see is rare bags which hold more / better (Bag of Sewn Evil Eye).

    Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

  14. #14
    Plane Walker Winedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    456

    Default

    I've always thought they could add pockets for small item storage in equiped items. like a BP could hold 8 items or somthing... This would be combined with the player's bags in their invintory.

    Raid items give more space... etc... etc...
    Games played: EQ, EQ2, COV/H, Lineage 2, DAoC, Vanguard, WoW, AION, Champions Online, SWG, DDO, LotR Online, Guild Wars, Darkfall Online, AoC

    Current: EQ1, Champions Online, Darkfall Online... (Thinking about re-sub on Vanguard)

  15. #15
    Ascendant Kalbuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    2,265

    Default

    Storage slots in gear is a nice idea i've seen it in a few games but it was badly implemented, firstly they served as bags themselves meaning you had a lot of places where you could put items. Sometimes you had no clue where an item went.

    2nd is the problem that gear switches a lot, if you have items stored in it you can't switch it so well that becomes a pain then. HOWEVER it can be implemented in a way that would make it easier. Make gear expand your inventory with modefiers for example. Have a BP have +8 item slots, and don't make it a bag but expand your main inventory.

    If you unequip the BP you lose the 8 item slots, if your inventory is full, have a overflow system in place that has a buffer of say 10 items that are stored in it incase you overflow. But you cannot loot if you are overflowed.

    Regards
    Kalbuir

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts