Thread: Rogue Fighting Stance

Default Rogue Fighting Stance

When watching some of the preview videos something that always stands out and kind of irritates me... the way the rogues duel weild with the swords opposite of each other... this in my opinion just looks dumb.. and sword fighting expert would tell you thats a very in effective way to hold a katana or long sword... IMO i say change to where the duel weild both weapons the same direction.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nastriel_Caine View Post
    When watching some of the preview videos something that always stands out and kind of irritates me... the way the rogues duel weild with the swords opposite of each other... this in my opinion just looks dumb.. and sword fighting expert would tell you thats a very in effective way to hold a katana or long sword... IMO i say change to where the duel weild both weapons the same direction.
    I think it looks flashy and that means it's good, it's here to entertain. I don't even want to start with the realistic aspect as far as swordsmanship goes, I practice it myself and such an argument is really out of place. It will be a long time before real stuff can be simulated in a game.

Anyway, I think this stance only belongs to a certain race, so just pick a different one.

Yeah, this is a fantasy game. That's like asking fireball-slinging mages to stop throwing fireballs. Not everything, including the sword fighting animations, has to be realistic.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die."
    --H.P. Lovecraft

I understand its a fantasy game,and the realism of it doesnt matter... i mean ffs theres elemental creatures coming in from other worlds... just my opinion it doesnt look right,almost looks bugged... a nice fix to this would be allowing players to choose how they hold their weapons,but then again the importance of this is so very little that i dont care if they got a sword sticking out of their *** the game has to much going for it for something small like this to ruin it.

P.S the only reason i mentioned about it being in effective is they are suppose to be masters of blades... you would think they would hold them the most effective way but then again if they are that good they can be flashy i suppose.
    Last edited by Nastriel_Caine; 11-08-2010 at 05:30 PM.

I like it the way it is personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastriel_Caine View Post
    I would think a sword fighting expert would say that dual wielding katanas or longswords at all would be fairly ineffective. Using two of either would just seem unwieldy.

Generally I'd imagine a dual wielding agile rogue should be fighting with shorter weapons like short swords, dirks, daggers, scimitars, wakishzashis, tantos, etc. Or even two weapons of differing lengths, one long and one short.

Perhaps you'd like to actually explain why fighting with two weapons gripped this way is so inefficient? Im not sure I understand the disadvantage.

I guess I can see a downside while standing toe to toe with a single opponent directly in front of you, but somehow I imagine class like a "bladedancer" fighting as a lightning fast whirling circle of death. You cant really slash across while spinning with both blades facing in the same direction. How would you even parry an attack from behind you without wielding them as such?
    - Lord Taldier

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
    - Nietzsche

I don't like the way some mages cast their spells either, just ask any sorcerer or witch in town, if they tried to cast a spell with their hands waving about like clyde from anywhich way but loose they are going to do more selfharm than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Taldier View Post
    I would think a sword fighting expert would say that dual wielding katanas or longswords at all would be fairly ineffective. Using two of either would just seem unwieldy.

Generally I'd imagine a dual wielding agile rogue should be fighting with shorter weapons like short swords, dirks, daggers, scimitars, wakishzashis, tantos, etc. Or even two weapons of differing lengths, one long and one short.

Perhaps you'd like to actually explain why fighting with two weapons gripped this way is so inefficient? Im not sure I understand the disadvantage.

I guess I can see a downside while standing toe to toe with a single opponent directly in front of you, but somehow I imagine class like a "bladedancer" fighting as a lightning fast whirling circle of death. You cant really slash across while spinning with both blades facing in the same direction. How would you even parry an attack from behind you without wielding them as such?
    Long sword and a companion sword, google Musashi -- quite possibly the greatest swordsman in history for more of this technique from the master.

Also, OP, this is a fantasy game. If you're going to nitpick, have you ever tried to draw a longsword from your back in the position fantasy heroes do it? You can't. It looks cool, it's entertaining. The reason we play a game with blade and sorcery is to get AWAY from the real world. I personally don't care if there's a class that can slash with no hands and can guide the blade through telekinesis. (How cool would that be?)

In real life a longsword and a dagger would be an acceptable combination, for example. I want my fantasy Blade Dancer to wield two long swords because it looks effin' awesome.

I wouldn't mind the reverse grip if it was with the smaller weapon in the off-hand instead of the larger weapon in the primary hand.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

How about we just agree that MAYBE in the same land where Mages throw fireballs and Clerics HEAL PEOPLE'S GRIEVOUS WOUNDS on command, there MIGHT ALSO be Rogue moves/magic that MIGHT find SOME SORT of benefit from this stance. It's not that big of a deal. C'mon.