Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Flying mounts in RIFT

Default Flying mounts in RIFT

Not sure if there are any plans for flying mounts in RIFT, however; I know there are thousands of current and ex Vanguard players that would sure find a move to RIFT a lot easier if there are.

If there are going to be flying mounts, how about making them acquirable through a lore immersive questline that allows the flying mount to go through stages as your toon levels up and you complete more quests that grow and empower the flying mount. One of the biggest complaints about flying mounts in the vgplayers forums are the easy to acquire flying mounts like Randolph Reindeer where all you had to do was click on an npc to ask for the reigns. Something as glorious as a flying mount should be earned and appreciated, not just handed out for the asking.

I would just post NO, but these forums won't let me. Flying mounts let people bypass content that developers put in game, it also is a huge way to ruin PvP(which I am not even a fan of).

Quote Originally Posted by Githil View Post
    I would just post NO, but these forums won't let me. Flying mounts let people bypass content that developers put in game, it also is a huge way to ruin PvP(which I am not even a fan of).
    Haha! +1 here

I am also not a big fan of unrestricted flying mounts.
    It lets you bypass content and gives the player an unfair advantage over PvE content, such as flying low in order to spot a specific NPC that you are looking for and dropping from the skies to interact/kill that NPC, completely bypassing the surrounding NPCs and their potential threat.

However, I wouldnt be opposed to a specific area where a flying mount is anchored to, similar to the Ksaravi Gulch wyvern quest series, in Vanguard.. A player obtains a flying mount and cannot use it except to fly around is a small, specific area. Once it flies outside that specific area, the flying mount quickly despawns

While Gith has a point, once you have experienced a freeform flying mount there is no way in **** you would argue against one. Yes going to content with a flying mount is a problem, skipping chunks of open world dungeons is a huge one but if sollutions for these sort of things can be found then flying mounts are 100% fantastic.

That beeing said I personally don't expect them in RIFT during launch.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

If there is flying mounts i want flying mobs and flying combat also... and then i remember Aion... and then it give me headache... so no flying stuff will end in less headache, that is.

I don't expect flying mounts in Rift at launch, too.

Personally I have no problem with flying mounts if there are implemented well.
    I don't understand why it should be possible to let people skip content. I thing it's not a difficult solution by just adding something in certain locations to the air to blow them away or just eat them.

But I still have no clue how exactly Telara is build and if the world design supports the implementation of flying mounts.
    Hopefully in future... but anyway, riding or gliding is also fun.

I do not want flying mounts freely usable in most areas of the world as in e.g. WoW for different reasons. I'd rather have a more complex jumping/climbing system.

Other forms of flight transport such as "gryphons", air streams, gliding, or even smaller zones where you can have free flying is okey.

I personally enjoy flying mounts. As long as content is designed with them in mind. I really don't care if someone 'skips content' or anything, doesn't affect what I do in the least. I also don't mind what ways we get them, even it's like the Reindeer from VG. The days are over where having any kind of mount is a status symbol, sure it's nice to have some that are, but just the fact of having one at all just isn't an epeen issue anymore.

Plane Touched

Personally I am with those who feel that you should have to earn what you have in a game. Although admitedly I did have the free randolphs on all my VG chars, in the beginning he only flew at xmas time so really it was a fluff mount. But the idea behind having to do a rigorus quest line to get a flying mount in VG i loved. You had to earn your perma flying mount. Before that you could easily obtain a basic horse and about level 30 you could do a unicorn or hellhound mount quest which was also fun and faster than most horses. Then later came the faction mount quests which I didnt bother with. If many of you old VG vets rememebr the original ideas behind VG (that sadly never came true) your first exirience in VG was to have to travel the vast world and expirience everything on your continent. Also there was supposed to be mounted and flying mounted combat. As well as sea attacks and assults on your ships. Your ships were supposed to be sinkable if they took too much damage. But we all know why those things never got implemented. I feel if Trion takes its time, and tried not to rush anything or promise us time lines on things, they could accomplish much of this with Rift. The whole reason the rentable flying mounts and Rift stones were put into VG is because the world was so huge yet there werent many players in the world. So they added those things to make it easier to find groups and do content to gether on any of the continents. **** I rememebr when they did finally put in the rift stones, you actually had to discover them before you could use them or teleport to them. They quickly did away with that idea however :-\.

TL;DR

I feel you shoul have to pound the pathways til you earn your way to a flying mount, but I feel they should be implemented at some point.

i dont really see a need for flying mounts til maybe the 3rd expansion or something like that.. you will miss many of the interesting things they worked hard to put in the game by using flying mounts and its more of a nice to have kinda thing not really needed

Quote Originally Posted by Githil View Post
    + 1 here as well. However I do like PvP... I believe flying mounts are are really bad idea in every game that does not have a lot, and I dont mean one or two, of fighting and action in the air. If developers want a faster way to travel across the continent, introduce bloody carriages! Then its even possible to create dynamic content around this... Bandits trying to rob carriages, players defend them... A merchant with a lot of goods on carriages in need of protection... A lot of great idaes could be created.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

I rather enjoy flying mounts, mainly for the top down view of the world it provides. It gives you another way to look at content, however most games implement it poorly.

My consensus is that if it's done well, I wouldn't mind flying mounts at all, rather I'd prefer it actually. All in all, I'm more in favor of it, than not.

Players often argue that flying mounts allow players to skip over the overland content (usually trash mobs) between quest point A to quest point B. How is that any different than players toons skipping over content in dungeons and caves usings summoning bots in strategic locations or like in Vanguard using tombstones left with an item on them in strategic locations and a healer logged out there to ress everyone at the next time to attack the mobs there?

Many players enjoy the activity of flying high in the sky above the landscape and seeing the view of the world their toon inhabits. I know I do. There are times in Vanguard, even after playing it for 4 years, that I just go flying about taking in the awesome view of the game world from a dragons eye view from high above.

Questing for a flying mount is one of those side quests activities that we saw in Vanguard brought players from numerous guilds together to defeat monsters, craft items, etc. There is almost always players toons in Old Targanor rotating other players in and out of kill groups for the mob kills required on the Gryffon Quest in Vanguard. Many of the players never even met before in game. Its just become a custom on that questline to help others that need the kills.

It's a reward for a lengthy questline that gives a player pride in ownership with the toon that completes the quest and obtains the flying mount. The more a player connects in a game with his toon owning private property of value that he can be proud of; the longer that player usually inhabits an MMO world with their toons.

While I did enjoy the novelty of flying mounts in Vanguard, I don't really feel they bring that much to these games - unless from a basic level the game is absolutely designed around flying mounts.

I realise flying in Aion is slightly different than what we're talking about here, but that's a clear example of where I thought the game would have been much better off with no flying instead of restricted flying.

On the other hand, if the skies were designed to be as dangerous as the surrounding land areas are, that could solve the content skipping issue we see popping up quite often. That sounds like a massive and tricky undertaking though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast